Tropical Fish Caps color code chart?

Started by vortex, June 13, 2007, 09:22:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vortex

I'm tracing an old Garnet mixer and there are a few "Tropical Fish"  that I should replace. I've searched here and Googled and can't seem to find a chart.

I thought I had come across this question here before! .

For instance, there are many Red/Black caps. Just two colors.

Then there is the Red/ Orange/White/Blue.

Any links or info appreciated.
Thanks!

vortex

Many thanks for the link ulysses.

I am a bit confused after using the calculator though.

I assume that the two color Red/Black cap is  2.4 to 3.6 nF    (3 nF  +/-20%) 100 volts. So the first line is the "significant number" and the second line is the "Multiplier" in this case. I am saying this based on what I think the caps function is in the circuit. ?

The Red/Orange/White/Blue makes no sense if I use this calculator, there aren't any blue selections to be had in the Tolerance or Max voltage dropdowns.

R.G.

Using the silly calculators will leave you forever dependent on the -memorize the color code like a man.

Bad        - Black  - 0
Boys       - Brown -1
R###       - Red   2
Our        - Orange - 3
Young      - Yellow - 4
Girls      - Green - 5
But        - Blue   - 6
Violet     - Violet - 7
Gives      - Gray  - 8
Willingly  - White - 9

First band = first number
Second band = second number
Third number = number of zeros to add
For caps, the resulting value is in pico farads.

So brown, black, orange = 1, 0, three 0s, or 10,000pf = 10nf = 0.01uF
red, red,yellow = 2, 2, 4 0s, or 220000, 220,000pF = 220nf = 0.22uF.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

ulysses

yeah they are some strange colours. never seen blue in the fourth band before..

with the other cap, does the black bar look twice as thick as the red? if so the cap is prob 2nf.

your best bet would be to desolder them and test them on a multimeter with capacitance measurement capability..

i would guess that the second cap is 230pf. how big is it physically? much smaller than the red/black caps?

cheers
ulysses

vortex

QuoteUsing the silly calculators will leave you forever dependent on the -memorize the color code like a man.

Yes, nice to have you assume that. I am hip to the "Rainbow"  but I am a bit short on "context'. Two lines of color are a bit less specific than I am used to. Thanks again...

Quoteyour best bet would be to desolder them and test them on a multimeter with capacitance measurement capability..

Yep, I figured. I hoped I could learn something new and avoid assaulting the "rats nest" .Seems inevitable... I'll have to "man up"...

i would guess that the second cap is 230pf. how big is it physically? much smaller than the red/black caps?

Umm, 2X bigger than the red/blacks, chicklet sized . The red/ blacks look like an oversized 10uF Tant. I'm thinking that this Garnet mixer is late 60's up to mid 70's.

Thanks for the help.

Pedal love

Quote from: vortex on June 13, 2007, 09:22:00 PM

Then there is the Red/ Orange/White/Blue.
When defining these you have to assume what place the colors occur. Its a strange system at first.
With your capacitor the first stripe is actually double. There can't be a red, then another medium, then another red color.
So it looks like simply, a larger band for the first color. All five colors are still there. In the case of .033uF,
there is a very large band of orange on top. followed by the tolerance band and the voltage band.
Three bands. So in your instance, you have:  Red=2/Red=2/Orange=x1000/White=10%/Blue=630 volts dc
....Which is: 22000pf -10% tolerance @ 630 volts.

Like all things, it takes practice.
Quote from: vortex on June 13, 2007, 09:22:00 PMFor instance, there are many Red/Black caps. Just two colors.
I can imagine a red/black and either brown, red, yellow or blue at the bottom. This would be 2200pf.

I have never really seen just red and black. It could be that the bottom stripe didn't show, as unfortunately
this happened in the factory sometimes.