Ruby Amp speaker recommendation

Started by mnordbye, June 14, 2007, 02:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nightingale

Jensen mods!
6"-15watt, or the 8"-20watt
I think they both cost $15 usd brand new.
They sound really nice to my ears! I use them for cheap speaker repairs in the shop all the time.
Hope this helps,
ry

be well,
ryanS
www.moccasinmusic.com

momo

Ya I heard about the Mods, even saw one on ebay and I think he was actually selling this for more than it costs at an online store!
I did not know at the time about the price and the speaker, so at that time, it seemed like a good price! :icon_rolleyes:, they probably have more low end than the CTS speakers im using now in my Ruby...the thing with the new set of speaker cabinets I got on ebay, I want to enlarge the hole for the 7inch spkrs it has,if I can do that without damaging the front grill, then ill be looking for some 10 or 12 inch set.

Since you use these often, can you tell me 2 things, is the bass good on lets say the bigger 8 inch, and is the whole spkr very deep with the magnet cover,can you take the cover off to save space?
If they do fit in(Idont have the cabinet dimensions, ill have to wait till I get it), then maybe thats a good bet, compared with lets say Vintage CTS speakers of the same dimension.
I like the tone Im getting on my present Ruby, but id love to get more bass on the next build.
Cheers
"Alas to those who die with their song still in them."

MikeH

I've tried my ruby in just about every speaker I have.  Computer speakers really suck, although I wired 4 together in a wood box and was able to get somewhat decent sounds.  The best I think is a ~20W 10" from a small fender practice amp.  Although it sounds pretty good through a 100W 2X12 I have too, but only when it's cranked all the way.  I also tried it in a 2 X 15 cab just to see, and not surprisingly it sounded terrible.
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

Quackzed

i made a ruby into  a 'pc speaker' box... sounded like a jar of mosquitos... :(  so i took it out of there and hooked it up to an old cardboard cab with a 12" rola (celestion type) speaker and WOW!  fantastic!!!  So I realy feel that you're not gonna get the best results with a tiny speaker. I was really surprised by the volume and nice tone this had with a full size speaker. I also ran into some ugly distortion when using 4 ohm speakers and one 12" 8 ohm sounded great, while another seemed to distort buzz, so your milage may vary, or rather your 386 chip may be picky. btw, the size and stiffness of your enclosure is a big part of the equasion too. i like a somewhat less stiff box...adds a bit of low end and adds a bit of 'softness' to the sound....squishy...
     I wanted a compact amp with a small speaker, but in the end i couldn't get a good sound out of a small speaker...in the end i'm really glad I went with the 12" speaker/cab.

nothing says forever like a solid block of liquid nails!!!

jefe

I've got two Jensen Mods on the way - a 5" 8ohm 30 watt, and a 6" 4ohm 15 watt. I'm really hoping the 5" works, because I've got a cabinet all set & ready to go. I'll let you all know how it sounds.