Suggest a germanium boost, please...

Started by jayp5150, June 14, 2007, 04:27:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jayp5150

A buddy of mine would like a simple germ. boost, and I know that the Cream Pie went into production, and therefore was removed (and, no, I'm not asking for a schem, just so y'all know ;D).

What's out that there that is similar in function and tone? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, folks.

yeeshkul

Rangemaster(a brillliant treble booster) clone or Fuzz Face(all timer) clone.

markm

Toney

Torchy did the Keeley Javaboost on vero, pretty popular...

Check the Indyguitarist files

MartyMart

Javaboost is hard to beat, three settings from treble boost RM to full range boost/grit
Having a good OC44 helps !
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Hanglow

I just put a pic of my Java boost on the pics thread! Really good pedal, my current favourite I think. Well recommended

jayp5150

Thanks guys! I had some free time at the office today and did a bunch of digging. For some reason, the rangemaster didn't even cross my mind (I need a vacation lol).

I'll hit back when I get something done. Might be a couple of weeks, though. It's been really busy here lately.

soulsonic

I've done a handful of Rangemaster clones, they're super easy build and tweak. I've been doing a switch like on the Java for switching input caps and it adds alot of variety. My favorite way to do it is with a four to six position rotary and a bunch of different caps. Generally I don't like to go any lower than .0022 or any higher than .022.

I've also been suprised at about how little variation there is in the sound with different transistors/biases. It seems that as long as it's a decent working germanium transistor and it's biased in a decent range it's going to give you that good germanium boost tone. The biggest tone differences seem to come from the caps.
Check out my NEW DIY site - http://solgrind.wordpress.com

markm

Yeah, I can say that a good general observation.
I chose the CV7110 in mine for 2 reasons,

it was readily available at Aron's store and
The CV7110's sound really good and are relatively easy to work with.

Aron's sold-out but, smallbear still has 'em!