Transistor question for the Colorsound One Knob Fuzz build.

Started by Bipolar Joe, June 15, 2007, 01:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bipolar Joe

I went to Maplin to buy components for this, and they didn't have any of the BC108 or BC109 transistors. The only ones they had in stock were BC107. I was just wondering if there would be any danger of the build going array, or just not working because of this.

GREEN FUZ

I reckon you`re fine with the 107. It shares the same datasheet as the 108/109. That said I don`t pretend to understand the finer points of datasheets.
I suppose you should consider yourself grateful you can get anything in Maplins. I`ve given up going to my local one. Whenever I did the Sales assistants/vultures descended to ask "Do you need any help?". Telling them what I wanted was invariably greeted with a slack-jawed, glaze-eyed look of incomprehension followed by a 10 minute wait leading to the inevitable "we don`t have it in stock but we can order it if you like". Don`t get me started.

Austin73

Hi Joe, if you really want bc109 then try rapid as they are a lot cheaper than Maplin for everything and they sell you the right stuff!

http://www.rapidonline.com/productinfo.aspx?kw=bc109&tier1=Electronic+Components&tier2=Discrete+Semiconductors&tier3=Darlington+Transistors&tier4=Low+power+NPN+transistors&moduleno=66245

is the link to the NPN transistors page

If you need some more weird stuff Farnell carry most of the USA stuff ie j201 etc

Hope this helps

Aus
Bazz Fuss, Red LLama, Harmonic Jerkulator, LoFo MoFo, NPN Boost, Bronx Cheer, AB Box, Dual Loop, Crash Sync

Ge_Whiz

BC547 /8 /9 are the modern equivalents of BC107 /8 /9, albeit with rather higher gain. A BC548B would be good. Check out Bardwell's of Sheffield on the web - probably sell you 25 for a quid.