Tube Reamer drive control

Started by shooter_mi, June 16, 2007, 03:47:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shooter_mi

I've got the Tube Reamer build from Run off Groove on the breadboard and everything seems to be working right, but that the drive control doesn't offer much breadth of sound. Basically it kicks things up a notch at about 1/4 turn and then remains the same throughout the rest of the rotation. I haven't substituted any parts. Is this a normal limitation of the Tube Reamer? What can I do to try an get some more articulation out of that pot?

B Tremblay

Are you using a linear or audio/log taper pot for the Drive control?
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

shooter_mi

Good question. Audio taper, per the schem. I tried a linear, and the range was even more limited.

Baktown

I'm reviving this thread as I have the same problem as Shooter_Mi, and I didn't find any resolution to the problem.

Besides the drive control not making any noticeable difference in the sound, it's also a little muddy sounding.  Should I change the input cap to a lower value to clean it up a bit?

Thanks dudes!

Axl Bundy

km-r

i guess its a limitation..
the only drive setting ive used is the min and max...

btw, i used red leds instead of Si diodes, sounded awesome IMO!

maybe try a higher value pot?
Look at it this way- everyone rags on air guitar here because everyone can play guitar.  If we were on a lawn mower forum, air guitar would be okay and they would ridicule air mowing.

Baktown

I'm going to plead newbie ignorance here.  How does increasing the pot size affect the drive?

Thanks!

Axl

km-r

gain is:
[resistance across the output of the op amp to the inverting input] <-- the gain pot
divided by the
[resistance from the inverting input to ground or Vb]
plus one...

thats the simplified math there...
so increasing the gain pot will increase the gain of the op amp section...
Look at it this way- everyone rags on air guitar here because everyone can play guitar.  If we were on a lawn mower forum, air guitar would be okay and they would ridicule air mowing.

MartyMart

Try a reverse log pot - smallbear has them, this will smooth out the gain range
works well on a number of OD circuits.
MM
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

shooter_mi

I tried a reverse log on mine, and it did smooth out the range, but in the end I used the reverse log pot in an MXR microamp and kept a regular audio taper in the tube reamer. For the record, I think the the tube reamer is a very cool circuit, and it sounds great. As far as the limitation of the drive control, I think commercial effects may have made me accustomed to a range of dial-twisting that is simply unnecessary. I'm used to this tube reamer control now, and I think the pedal is a great overdrive, period.