Switching question: SPDT or DPDT

Started by senorsnor, June 16, 2007, 06:19:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

senorsnor

I have a pedal with a resistor in it that I want to be able to bypass with a switch. Say the signal enters at point A, then flows through resistor R, then comes to point B. My idea was to take a simple SPDT-switch, connect point A to the middle lug, connect one of the other lugs to the resistor, and the last lug with plain wire to point B.

Now I'm wondering whether it would be better to use a DPDT-switch, with point A connected to one of the middle lugs, point B connected to the other middle lug, two lugs connected by plain wire and the other two by the resistor? Or does that make no difference?

GibsonGM

All you need is a SPST....point A to point B.  Closed = bypassed via a short, same as a jumper.  Open = resistor in.  Your way will also work, just a 'bigger deal'; switches aren't cheap, lol.  You might find you can only get a SPDT from smallbear and other suppliers; just use the middle and one or the other contacts, when open the other end of the switch just floats.

A DPDT switch would let you put an LED into the circuit; for the circuit part, DPDT is too much, it's not necessary. 
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

senorsnor

Ha, that's probably the easiest and cheapest solution. Wouldn't have thought of that myself, thanks!  :icon_mrgreen:

JimRayden

Never underestimate the might of non-true bypass. It can still be used in various non-tone-sucking positions.

---------
Jimbo

GibsonGM

No prob, sensor, I had the same type of ?s last year, and was enlightened by Mark Hammer, he he!   For everything we do think of, there are 100 we need to find out from more experienced builders :o)
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...