Java Boost new PCB

Started by Nikolay, June 18, 2007, 04:16:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nikolay

Hi, yesterday I make my java boost. Here is a picture of my booster:

And here is a pdf with my version of a SCH and PCB : http://w13.easy-share.com/1221194.html

Also I found that this booster have some problems.

I hear some scratching from tone pot because there are DC voltage. My idea is to use 10uF capacitor. Also this 10nf for tone control is not enough. I try with 100n but I think that the best value is something like 47n (maybe)

Ok. When I change input capacitors for the first time I hear pops. My idea is to put 2M2 to ground from the capacitors. This will remove pops.
After all I think that this Sch will be better than the original one:

The red dots are my ideas to modify this booster.

Any comments ? :)

PS: The resistors are smd 0805 ;)

Ivana

Nikolay, вэр а ю фром то? И где переключатель входных емкостей на схеме?....
ЗЫ а дизайн коробочки зачетный! :)

markm

Quote from: Ivana on June 18, 2007, 01:08:05 PM

???

oskar

Tovarishi! Pa anglijskij pashalujsta !    ;)

calculating_infinity

Quote from: markm on June 18, 2007, 02:19:26 PM

???
:icon_eek:

forsaknazrael

Not sure what you guys are saying...but...The decals on that thing look freakin' awesome. How'd you do 'em?

John Lyons

I'm not Nikolay but the box was etched...

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

markm

Quote from: John Lyons on June 18, 2007, 03:02:08 PM
I'm not Nikolay but the box was etched...

John

I have no idea what is being said here, except for the English parts (!) but, I agree with John.
Etched.

forsaknazrael

Oh, okay. Thanks guys. Looks pretty darned neat, though.

Nikolay

Guys, I'm from Bulgaria. Yes I know russian too, but this forum is english forum - most people know english better than russian or bulgarian ;)

About the box - yes its maked by etching.

^translation: Where is the input capacitor selector?
Answer: I show only input capacitors without the selector. I think that is enough to show my idea.

What do you thing about my ideas to modify this booster ?

analogmike

Hi,

The tone pot on these (from orange treble bass booster) sounds terrible, it should be called a tone suck pot so leave it off. Switching the input caps like you showed is your best bet for good sound.

good luck!
DIY has unpleasant realities, such as that an operating soldering iron has two ends differing markedly in the degree of comfort with which they can be grasped. - J. Smith

mike  ~^v^~ aNaLoG.MaN ~^v^~   vintage guitar effects

http://www.analogman.com

johngreene

Quote from: Nikolay on June 18, 2007, 04:16:49 AM

I hear some scratching from tone pot because there are DC voltage. My idea is to use 10uF capacitor. Also this 10nf for tone control is not enough. I try with 100n but I think that the best value is something like 47n (maybe)

Ok. When I change input capacitors for the first time I hear pops. My idea is to put 2M2 to ground from the capacitors. This will remove pops.
After all I think that this Sch will be better than the original one:

The red dots are my ideas to modify this booster.

Any comments ? :)

PS: The resistors are smd 0805 ;)

You need a DC path to ground from the Collector of the transistor. If you put C6 where you have it shown, the transistor will not bias. A DC voltage on the tone pot shouldn't be causing any scratching because there is no current flowing (C3 prevents that).

--john
I started out with nothing... I still have most of it.

hendriko

Quote from: calculating_infinity on June 18, 2007, 02:29:25 PM
Quote from: markm on June 18, 2007, 02:19:26 PM

???
:icon_eek:
:icon_confused:
Gimme gimme shock treatment.

Ivana

Nikolay - about pop-preventing resistors imho right way. About 10uF output cap - it is mainly depends on WHAT you use AFTER this booster - valve input 1M or common emitter input 15k. Imho for the valve or FET or buffered input 100nf is suffisient, but if you make this mode on your amp and you HEAR that it is right - this is your choise. I repeat - the box looks cool!  :)
analogmike - I can say two things:
1) I never seen the real orange treble bass booster, but all the web schematics say that it is INPUT tone pot in it, not output like in this case. Is that all schematis are incorrect?
2) the output tone works different depends from what is the booster following device and its inpedance.

PS sorry for my jokes wiht russian languije  :)

Nikolay

Ok guys. I post this sch but maybe something was wrong with the forum and my post was gone ..

Nevermind. See my latest version of the schematics:

Nikolay

Latest design:

C8 can be 10n as the original schematics.

Ivana

C8 can be everything, but if you have 1m booster load (valve input) it sounds right opposite your case - 100k volume pot as a load. Imho in this case the values under 0.1u would sounds too thin.