Testing Rig Suggestions

Started by DiamondDog, June 23, 2007, 10:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DiamondDog

Hi, all. I wonder if I you can share your experiences while I'm tidying up my testing rig and making it sensible.

What I have done so far is grab a piece of perf, and put on it two enclosed jacks, a 3PDT toggle to replicate the stomp, the necessary wiring and a couple of posts for attaching the power supply, dmm etc to. This is on one end of a piece of super duper non-conducting material (often referred to as 2 x 4 or 4 x 2, depending on where you live). The other end, not that far away, has a slot to hold the board vertically, and some holes to stick the noses of pots in.

My goal is to basically replicate the enclosure and wiring on this, so I can test the board and pots. The board is held vertically to enable access to both sides for tracing. Having the bits and pieces on a separate board reduces the strain that can happen with jacks etc floating around, and all I have to attach to the board is in, out, + and -. Clips will be used here, because I like to use posts on my boards (personal preference). And all the bits on the board are Known Going Bits, so that reduces head scratch time.

I was thinking of putting/copying my GEOFex FET matcher on the perf to make sure FETs aren't dead.

Does anyone have any additional ideas for rigs/jigs etc that you have found useful in developing and tracking down issues?

(And here is where someone will put a million links...  :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin: )

DD
It's your sound. Take no prisoners. Follow no brands. Do it your way.

"Protect your ears more cautiously than your penis."
    - Steve Vai, "The 30 Hour Workout"

petemoore

start with a large RACO sized metal box, kind bottom heavy.
  install two metal mono phone 1/4'' jacks for input/output.
  Run a wire from a jack sleeve ground lug to be connected to an insulated testclip.
  Run a wire from each jack tip lug for input and output, which also will get testclips, insulated type, small/medium size.
  fasten a same size or a little bigger box, made of cardboard, open top, angle the sides to have an open front, so you can get your hands around the circuit, make a 'tray' from non-conductive material, no grounds sticking through..
  Stay the wires so they won't twist and break off the lugs, poke holes in the cardboard near edge of tray, feed the wires through, slide the insulators over the wires, connect the clips to the wires, slide the insulators over the clips...
  Plug guitar in, plug amp in, connect Gnd. clip to the circuit, connect input and output to the circuit, test for shorts then apply power...test and tweek 'till dawn...get up and fix it .... lol.
  Make it a little bigger to accomodate a power supply and side trays for parts.

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

zpyder

I built a testing unit out of a RACO junction box.  It has alligator clips for GND, +V, input, and output as well as a footswitch, a 9v battery clip, and a jack for an adapter.  I can use either battery or transformer.  cheap, easy, handy.  make your leads longer than mine.  there are some pictures in my gallery:

http://aronnelson.com/gallery/zpyders-build-pics

cheers,
zpyder
www.mattrabe.com/ultraterrestrial Ultraterrestrial - Just doing our little part to make new rock go where it should have gone in the late-90's, instead of the bullshit you hear on the radio today.

ambulancevoice

bread board and power supply, and dying battery simulator
Open Your Mouth, Heres Your Money

ambulancevoice

oh! and a clipping diode board to experiment with different clipping in distortions
Open Your Mouth, Heres Your Money