Smallbear LaserJet Waterslide Decals

Started by ubersam, June 25, 2007, 06:34:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ubersam

This sounds like a stupid question but, could someone give me directions on how to correctly use the LaserJet Waterslide Decals from Smallbear? It looks like two sheets stuck together, a thin one on top of a thicker one. Do I peel off the thin sheet before printing, or do I print on the thin sheet? Thanks.

emerswin

You print onto the glossy side. Once the ink is dry you should spray the page with something like Krylon Krystal Clear, do a few coats. You do this to protect the ink/printing cuz next you cut out the decal...like say the word "GAIN." Cut around "GAIN" and then you will dip that into water for about 3 minutes and slide it off the backing and onto your pedal. Good luck.

emerswin

oh and the next step is to protect the decals that you've applied to the pedal...it's tricky but you really gotta apply a clear coat on your pedal(not the krylon I mentioned earlier) and spray it on light at first but you want to put enough on so that the decal sort of sinks into the clear coat and looks pro. I'd practice on something like the bottom of the pedal or inside. It's tricky but is very satisfying when done right.

ubersam

Thanks, but the LaserJet decal paper I have has no glossy side, hence my confusion.

soulsonic

I've bought some of that same paper from him and it worked good for me. You peel off and throw out the thin sheet, and that should expose the glossy side of the paper - the thin sheet is there to protect it. Print on the glossy side, cut the labels out, and then soak in water. It helps to have a pair of tweezers handy to hold onto the wet decal with. Place it on the box, then smooth it down with the edge of your finger, being sure to push all the water out from under it. Then carefully blot up the excess water with a paper towel. After that, you can spray some kind of clear coat over it to give it some protection. Be careful how much you put on, if you do it crazy thick it starts making the ink run off of the label (though sometimes it gets a really cool, almost painted looking effect). I hope this helps.
Check out my NEW DIY site - http://solgrind.wordpress.com

John Lyons

There is a thin protection sheet that comes with the decal stock. You want to print on the shiny side of the actual decal stock. The flip side should say "Laser jet" or "Ink jet" decal paper.
With the Laser printer stock you don't need to clear coat before you put it on your box...I never have at least. But after you get it on the box you need to clear coat it for sure.

An Exacto knife or tweezers are a must for transfering it out of the water to the face of the pedal. Just slide it on the knife and slide it off the knife onto the pedals face. Blot off the excess water and let it dry a bit, then blot out the bubbles with care.
Once it's dry in couple hours (depending) you can cear coat it with spray polyurethane  or Clear krylon.

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

ubersam

Thanks all! I have an exacto knife, I have to see if I have tweezers. Now, I just have to decide on what to actually print on the thing.