Can anybody suggest a treble boost/OD that will get me close to this tone

Started by gybe!, June 27, 2007, 11:05:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gybe!

Title is pretty self explanatory.  I am looking for a treble boost/overdrive that will get me close to the tone of this clip at 1:31 in:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn-gR78DafI

Pedal is a lovepedal eternity, which I am pretty certain uses a 4558 op amp.  Just looking if there are any good easy builds (still new to the hobby!) that will get me in this neighborhood. 

Oh, and here is a gooped shot if it is an easily recognizable classic circuit as it looks to be a pretty simple build:

Barcode80

newbie builder

Anybody ever de-gooped one? I've always wondered how much of it was hype or if he actually has done anything that hasn't been talked about thousands of time to the Tubescreamer circuit...
//

gybe!

Quote from: Barcode80 on June 28, 2007, 01:58:30 AM
that's a modded tubescreamer.

I suppose I should have caught that given it is 4558 based and has the three electrolytics.  Seems to have a bit more clarity and top end than your typical TS, any ideas whats going on there?

petemoore

Not very well lit vid, what's with the yellowed pillow case...lol
  TS I guess.
  Sounds and looks like a TS topology.
  Can't see whether buffer Qs are in there.
  ROG's Tubereamer would be a good place to start, that and 'of TS type' scematics and research will help. The TR is the basic heart of the TS circuit [sans buffers], a good starting point of what to breadboard, worth a look.
  GEO: 'technology of the tubescreamer'.
  I'd do some browsing [TS info abounds in other places], those two articles and general knowledge about circuit voicing pretty much spell out TS variations, choose a schematic with #'d components to make it easy to ID them, post back with a link to schematic...
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Barcode80

also, the top end clarity could be a simple toning down of the mid hump. search for mods in the forum to this effect.

Dragonfly

m-theory

QuoteSon Of Screamer and use LEDs for clipping

That'd be my guess. 

gybe!

Thanks for all of the help everyone!  I think I am going to go super ambitious and build something inspired by the Beavis Audio Research idea of the all in one screamer:

Lots to trouble shoot, but I figure if I take my time I should be ok! :o :D

petemoore

way over the top...IMO.
  I'd suggest opting for something simpler [lose most of the switches, make some of the stuff just a socketted item] and more reliable/less glitchy.
  I didn't count how many times signal path relys on a switching contacts to get through there..[ie how it'd 'default' if a switch or two got 'funny'...working or no workie?
  looks expensive, time consuming, with no promise of possessing greater TS-ness than a tweeked tubescreamer.
  If I was a pro-TS tweeker, a box like that for low-stress situations like having a guitarist find the TS sounds they want options for [like I would have guitarists lining up to have their personal TS tweek built for them], let them decide on some options using the fully tweekable box..then build something which gets some of the chosen options.
  Most of the time I use a switch or two, and dail mostly the volume gain and tone, depending on the venue'. after dialing in, the only 'options' I use much of are the bypass switches.

jonathan perez

seriously, if you want a trebly tube screamer, drop the mids, lose the tone knob, change the clipping diodes, true bypass it (like an idiot), and BAM!, you got what youre looking for.

:icon_evil:
no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

gybe!

Yeah, I am not planning on doing to full build, but taking some ideas from it.  Mainly the switchable midhump, boost, and part of the clipping section.  I was planning on socketing the op amp and working from there.  Was not planning on using the TS9/808 switching, voltage, or cleanup.  Just found the full beavis mockup last night and thought it looked pretty cool, but I am a sucker for pretty switches and knobs ;D

Thanks again for the help!

petemoore

Yeah, I am not planning on doing to full build, but taking some ideas from it.  Mainly the switchable midhump, boost, and part of the clipping section.  I was planning on socketing the op amp and working from there.  Was not planning on using the TS9/808 switching, voltage, or cleanup.  Just found the full beavis mockup last night and thought it looked pretty cool, but I am a sucker for pretty switches and knobs
  Sure is cool to look at to get ideas, built 'right', it promises to do nearly every possible TS permutation, and would make an impressive build...a great tool for instantly demonstrating many subtly shaded differences.
  that said: 'Simple has advantages'.

Barcode80

Quote from: thebattleofmidway on June 29, 2007, 11:16:13 AM
seriously, if you want a trebly tube screamer, drop the mids, lose the tone knob, change the clipping diodes, true bypass it (like an idiot), and BAM!, you got what youre looking for.

:icon_evil:
why would you be an idiot to true bypass it? not necessary, of course, but why would he be an "idiot?"