Whipple Wah Inductor

Started by Jackie Treehorn, June 29, 2007, 08:48:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jackie Treehorn

Has anyone been able to get a good, full Clyde sound out of this inductor with the standard .01 sweep cap?

The Whipple inductor I'm working with sounds like a wah that breathed in a big gulp of helium before speaking with the standard .01 sweep cap.  It sounds really wrong.

It gets pretty close in sound to my old 67-68 logo on top Crybaby with a bigger sweep cap, .018-.02, but there's still a slight difference in the midrange with the old wah having a more focused mid and the Whipple being more diffuse.

I'm wondering whether I should send it back/order another one.

jonathan perez

no, buy yourself a DMM that can measure inductance, then measure both inductors.

second, the values on the board make a difference. caps values, resistors...they all make a difference. check that first.

mike is a very good friend of mine, he makes the inductors. ordering another one wont do you any good, he makes them all to roughly the same values, between 500-520mH, with a resistance of 28-32ohms. so you wont really hear a difference...
no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

Pierre

I've got my Whipple a few days ago and I'm really happy with its sound, now my wah sounds perfect...I mean, the red Fasel was ok but this inductor makes a big difference. I used it in Fuzz Central's "Axis Wah" project... :icon_wink:

Jackie Treehorn

All the values on the board are good, the old wah is BC109B's and the whipple wah has BC109C's.  I had an older, non-reissue Fasel in the wah in question and it sounded right with a .01 sweep cap, but when I switched to the whipple it went falsetto.  Unfortunately, I don't have an L meter to check the values, but it seems to me one of the inductors is out-of-spec.  I've never had a wah or particular inductor that needed a larger sweep cap, so that's why I'm thinking this whipple is the odd one.  But, it sounds very close with the larger sweep cap, so I guess it's not really a big problem, although I'd prefer to eliminate the slight differences that still exist.

jonathan perez

the resistance/inductanct difference in between the halo and the fasel are quite audible.

its kind of like this:

the higher the mH, the "fatter" the sweep tone. the lower the mH, the "thinner" the sweep tone. the same can be said for resistance in some aspects. for example, i had a clyde mccoy with a an inductor that measured 500mH, 80ohms, and it was easily the fattest, nicest, most perfect wah ive ever heard. where as the larger hole halo inductor had a thinner tone to it, with 500mH, 30ohms.
no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

Jackie Treehorn

Here's a tune with the Whipple modded V847

Here's the same tune recorded with the old Crybaby (large halo Cylde guts)

The V847 has a fulltone pot with the quick taper, which I'm not really used to, so the sweeps are wider and quicker in that clip.  I have a linear taper pot in the old wah which seems to match my foot more!

Other than the pot, I think they're very close!