News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Bulk order

Started by demonstar, July 02, 2007, 11:10:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

demonstar

I've completed two pedals now and I'm really hooked. I'm going to place a bulk order and I've got a few ideas of what to include but do the more experienced guys have any advice on what to include? Up until today I've just being buying one part at a time. Oh, and I'm trying to keep the costs relatively low.
"If A is success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut"  Words of Albert Einstein

Ben N

• SUPPORTER

spud

Check these out: 

http://www.futurlec.com/ValuePacks.shtml

Just be aware that orders can take a while.  For some reason out of 3 order, 2 took about a week and 1 took over a month.  Go figure.  My first order from them included the value packs - Caps, Sockets, Resistors.  I'm still using them.  What I did was get my order under $30.00 (29.99) then you only pay $4.00 shipping.  This is the best deal going when considering just the cost.  If you hit them right, you might not wait at all.  If not, it might be a little while.  I just keep bugging them and it shows up.  If you don't like the randomness of the value packs, you can just order sets of Resistors and Caps from Futurelec as they usually sell most of the low voltage/wattage stuff for really good prices.  I'lve also purchased some HV stuff from them and it's decent as well.  One of these days I'm going to build a Firefly, next I need the Trannies and Chassis, have pretty much the rest of it. 

Also, you can get bulk stuff from Jameco (called "Grab bags") and electroncs express (elexp.com) - I've never ordered from Jameco as I just found their web site a little while ago.   The guys at electronics express (elexp.com) are quick - look under "surplus" on their site.  They also have misc stuff for pretty good prices.  I've ordered resistor pack (340 #) and disk caps (ceramic).  Only thing about the caps is some have very hard to read markings (since they are quite tiny).  I have a few that I still haven't figureed out what they are - I guess I need a cap meter to tell...

Hambo

Heh, and to be a bit more UK specific... I get almost all my stuff from Rapid, they dont mess up orders ever as far as I can tell, and spend 25 squid its free next day delivery, easy to do if you get the eddystone boxes from there.

http://www.rapidonline.com/

For cheap odd numbers of components, etchant, DPDT switches and stuff I get the rest from ESR: They very rarely mess up on the odd resistor value or something.. but usually fine:

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/esr/contacts.html

Hints. Get the Bill of materials for any projects you intend to build, or make one without forgetting 2.1mm DC JACK, Battery clip and snap etc, and anything you might need for additional millenium circuits.. (this is the stuff I forget most often). Consolidate any BOMs in a notepad or something when you have them, and go through piece by piece marking items off while ordering.

Best of luck :)

soulsonic

I keep a spreadsheet that lists all the parts I ever buy. It has the part name, description, price, quantity, manufacturer, catalog #, and the name of the supplier I get it from. When I put together a project I just go through with the BOM and fill in all the quantities. It tallies up the total cost so I can make quick estimates about how much a project will cost. Then, when I'm ordering, I  only have to copy and paste the catalog #s and then fill in the quantities. It makes ordering very quick and easy.

Allied and Mouser both have incredibly fast service, with never a single mistake. I've gotten totally hooked on using DHL for shipping, they're quick and inexpensive - gotta love those Germans!!!
Check out my NEW DIY site - http://solgrind.wordpress.com

demonstar

Thanks and that was great advice hambo. I've just ordered off farnell. I've got a lot for not too much money. I looked through the next few projects I'm gonna do and got what I need (phase 45, rebote delay 2.5 and noisy cricket).  I stocke dup on FETs as they're not available to easily around here and other millennium bits.

Thanks that was great advice. Aron could probably do well selling resistor packs etc if he had the time. I may get a few lucky bags from maplin. Maybe diodes so I've got some stuff to experiment. For clipping diodes for example. As a general rule what by what percentage can you alter most parts on the schematics eg 50k to 47k. I know it'll be hard to make a certain rule but just roughly. (I'm still pretty much a newbie around here.) I don't wanna' push my look too much by altering things I shouldn't but I don't wana try and source bits just for the sake of it.

Also, I want to share my stripboard layout when I've done it for the phase 45 to give back to this community. How do I add to the gallery please?
"If A is success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut"  Words of Albert Einstein

demonstar

I think I'll try that technique with the spreadsheet soulsonic. It sounds a great idea.

GREEN FUZ

QuoteHeh, and to be a bit more UK specific... I get almost all my stuff from Rapid, they dont mess up orders ever as far as I can tell, and spend 25 squid its free next day delivery, easy to do if you get the eddystone boxes from there.
That sounds great. I`ve been waiting almost a month for an order from Musikding and I`m getting itchy to finish some builds.

zyxwyvu

This page is great for planning out ordering lots of resitors and capacitors:

http://www.storm-software.co.yu/diy/index.php?project=stats

newbie builder

Quote from: soulsonic on July 02, 2007, 05:11:27 PM
I keep a spreadsheet that lists all the parts I ever buy. It has the part name, description, price, quantity, manufacturer, catalog #, and the name of the supplier I get it from. When I put together a project I just go through with the BOM and fill in all the quantities. It tallies up the total cost so I can make quick estimates about how much a project will cost. Then, when I'm ordering, I  only have to copy and paste the catalog #s and then fill in the quantities. It makes ordering very quick and easy.

Allied and Mouser both have incredibly fast service, with never a single mistake. I've gotten totally hooked on using DHL for shipping, they're quick and inexpensive - gotta love those Germans!!!

Do you think you could send me a copy of that spreadsheat? It sounds like an invaluable tool to have when placing orders!
//

demonstar

That graph is great it should definitely be in the FAQ. Really useful!

Hambo

Quote from: demonstar on July 02, 2007, 05:12:25 PM
I looked through the next few projects I'm gonna do and got what I need (phase 45, rebote delay 2.5 and noisy cricket).  I stocke dup on FETs as they're not available to easily around here and other millennium bits.

By a strange coincidence I'm right now putting together a rebote 2.5 too. :D
Nice tricky project. All the best fella.

Thats a good question about the gallery.. I'd like one too, I've been putting random stuff on photobucket and posting pics in threads for some stuff, To be honest I rarely look at gallery stuff, but it would be easier I suspose.

dpresley58

I got an assortment of resistors from Radio Shack, but other than that I usually just order more than I need for whatever project I'm working on. Yes, it took awhile and several projects before I accumulated a collection of any size, but I'm finding more and more that I only need to replenish a particular value of component instead of ordering. The RadShack assortment came in incredibly handy for the odd value resistors, too.

Then, of course, y'gotta figure out how you're gonna keep up with your new proliferation of toys... ;) For awhile, I couldn't find a cost-effective storage solution so I went to the local Academy (um.. not sure if you're here in America, but Academy is a sporting goods store) and got some plastic bins that were probably intended for fishing tackle.

I also keep a spreadsheet of stuff I order and from where, but lately what with all the ROHS compliancy the part numbers have changed. I've noticed that quite a bit with Mouser recently where I go to grab a number that was good -last- order only to be informed they no longer stock it. Which only means they've changed the number to the new ROHS version...
Little time to do it right. Always time to do it over.

demonstar

dpresley58 thats the approach I've decided to adopt by just buying a little extra. When I looked up mail ordering some stuff I realised I could get about 50 resistors for the price of about 9 in a local shop.
I'm using ice cream tubs to store things at the moment. Inside them things are in the antistatic bags that they came from the shop in or in envelopes. I find the Cate d'or ice cream tubs are best here in the U.K.

I just haven't gotta get to much stuff yet just so I can be sure I'm gonna keep the interest in this hobby.

RaceDriver205

QuoteFor some reason out of 3 order, 2 took about a week and 1 took over a month.  Go figure.
Yeah same. I was amazed my order just arrived today, only 1 week later.
I would definately urge you to buy from futurlec. Ive just been so happy with their prices, $AUS4 for postage! Delivery, can be fast. I just got some of their pots and they're very neat and small.

moro

I was just flipping through the Mouser catalog and noticed that they have "RoHS Compliant Sample Kits" now.

For metal film resistors, try:

370-271-1-RC
370-271-2-RC
370-271-3-RC

Those are for 1/4 watt 1% tolerance. They're $30 for 10 each of 25-40 (ish) different values, depending on the set. So, a couple hundred resistors, in any case. I don't know how much money you're saving, but they might be convenient just for having a whole bunch of different values on hand.

There are a bunch of others. Try doing a search on "[name of component] kit" (e.g. "LED kit") and then clicking on the "Component Kits" link.