things to look for in a diode bridge?

Started by scaesic, July 07, 2007, 09:24:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scaesic

when buying a diode bridge chip i found information about the different kinds of diode bridges pretty sparse on the retail website.

Are they all pretty generic? what is there to look for?

GibsonGM

Check out  PIV, peak inverse voltage, it's important (remember, 2 diodes aren't conducting for 1/2 the cycle and are subject to that voltage)...forward current handling capability (ex. 1500mA), peak surge current (ex. 50A), forward voltage drop (ex, from .7 to 1.6V).  As long as you're staying below those limits, you should be ok.   Try not to cut it TOO close, ha ha.  They'll take some abuse, but only within reason. 
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

plankspank

The major differences are the current handling spec and the PIV voltage rating. I like the DB102-it is fine for all pedal work.

scaesic

what values should i be looking at for a power supply?

using a 15-0-15 120va trafo, around 2A max sec-current, i used banzai and it didint have any information to differentiate the part numbers :(

plankspank

You need to decide how much current your PS will need to supply. The DB102 is good for up to 70 VAC input and will supply up to 1A max.

scaesic

i probably need at least 80VA, 1.8A,
preferably 100VA, 2A
i cant seem to find any though.

R.G.

With rectifier diodes, the name of the game is getting enough, not getting just the right amount.

You want to rectify 30Vac, 2A. You need diodes rated at more than 30*1.414 = 42.42V and 2A. 50V might work, but it's marginal. I'd use 100V or more. "More" is cheap when you talk about 60Hz rectifier diode, maybe free - all the voltage selections may be the same price. And anything over 2A is OK. 3A is the next bigger size, so I'd get at least 100V/3A diodes.

This one should work fine:   http://www.rectron.com/data_sheets/br305-br310.pdf
Mouser sells it for US$0.49.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

scaesic

i got a db206 from banzai because they didn't stock anything > 2A

is it much more worthwhile just buying a 3A one?