Source for RoHS compliant solder?

Started by BMF Effects, July 07, 2007, 02:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BMF Effects

Both Mouser and Digikey list it but it is a non-stocked item. Anyone have any sources or recommendations as far as brands? Thanks.

The Tone God

Digikey is showing many types of Kester lead free solder in stock right now.

Oh if you are planning on going RoHS compliant then you will need to get either compliant soldering iron tips or untinned tips that you tin with the lead free solder. Make sure to keep them separated from your leaded tips.

Also be aware that the flux fumes are more active then leaded solder fumes so make sure you work in a well ventilated area or have a fume extractor.

Andrew

BMF Effects

I must have overlooked it. Thanks for the info and heads up.

The Tone God

Quote from: BMF Effects on July 07, 2007, 04:33:48 PM
I must have overlooked it. Thanks for the info and heads up.

No problem. Let us know if you need anything else.

I am planning on a article on how to build a cheap desktop fume extractor just for these issues.

Andrew

Dragonfly

Frye Electronics also carries RoHS compliant solder.

markm

UnLeaded Solder.
Who would've ever thought?  ???

QSQCaito

D.A.C

The Tone God

Quote from: markm on July 07, 2007, 05:49:07 PM
UnLeaded Solder.

Unleaded solder has been around for some time but some of the early mixes just sucked. Really things picked up when the RoHS thing started to go down. Some of the newer mixes are not that bad really. Except for a handful of procedural changes one might not even notice. I think some people even try to sell off lead free solder as "silver solder" which I suppose it is but its another mojo claim. IMHO real silver solder needs a blow torch and is not used much in our types of electronics.

Quote from: QSQCaito on July 07, 2007, 05:52:54 PM
If unleaded is this:

I'll take a try at that thing some day...

Hot air is used mostly for SMD stuff. Using it for electronics verses an iron is difficult especially the lead free solder which needs more heat. By the time you get enough heat and air flow to melt the solder for thru holes parts there is a chance that you will start burning the board. Not very tasty stuff. :P It is one of my biggest complaints with lead free solder.

Andrew

markm

Quote from: The Tone God on July 07, 2007, 06:53:36 PM
Quote from: markm on July 07, 2007, 05:49:07 PM
UnLeaded Solder.

Unleaded solder has been around for some time but some of the early mixes just sucked. Really things picked up when the RoHS thing started to go down.

Never heard of it.
Solder is supposed to have lead in it!  :D

oskar

And you're not supposed to mix the two types of solder either (and I don't know why really )
Where I used to work there were two separate soldering workstations to keep leadfree from
the good old nervdammaging stuff.  :icon_eek:
If you do repair/mods on old stuff your still supposed to use solder with lead (right?  ??? )

As for hot air I've only managed to make SMD-stuff come off the board with it...  including
the ones that I wanted to solder    :'(

The Tone God

Quote from: oskar on July 07, 2007, 09:06:01 PM
And you're not supposed to mix the two types of solder either (and I don't know why really )
Where I used to work there were two separate soldering workstations to keep leadfree from
the good old nervdammaging stuff.  :icon_eek:

There are some cases where lead free and leaded parts/solder don't place nice with each other but you can mix the solders. The problem is that it can no longer be considered lead free and more importantly neither can your lead free solder tip. You have to replace the tip to be lead free again.

Quote from: oskar on July 07, 2007, 09:06:01 PM
If you do repair/mods on old stuff your still supposed to use solder with lead (right?  ??? )

Its not that you have too but its likely whatever you have to repair is using lead solder and you shouldn't mix the two for above reasons.

Andrew

BMF Effects

Again, thanks for all the info. Much appreciated!

oskar

Thank's Andrew!
I've been wondering about this alot...