Hot Harmonics question

Started by shzmm, July 08, 2007, 05:04:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shzmm

Hi,
I just finished building the hot harmonics pedal from http://web.archive.org/web/20010618211121/members.home.net/fclarke/fx/hotharm3.gif -- unfortunately the problem I am having is that when I turn any pot to the "off" position the pedal goes silent.   Is this normal or is there something I can do to solve this problem? 
thanks for your replies,
shzmm

remmelt

That's expected behaviour, at least for the volume pot. Volume at zero means there is no resistance between signal and ground, effectively you're throwing all your tone out.

Gain should not make the pedal silent though. I've built a Red Llama (very similar) and backing off on the gain makes it more of a compressor, only distorting when you really dig in to the strings. That's with single coils though, you'll probably have more distortion with humbuckers.

Check if there are any traces to ground from the gain knob? There shouldn't be any!

oskar

With gain on minimum you have zero resistance feedback in that stage. This will surely
result in a silent pedal.      ;)
The tube sound fuzz/ llama has a 100k series resistor to make that gainstage go from unity and up.
You need something similar. A 250k resistor in series with the pot and parallell with the 200pF cap
would give the same result ( EDIT  kinda missed the 2m2 feedback from inverter a, but
the outcome would be zero anyway ).