Butchered a phone.. Anything useful?

Started by Beros, July 09, 2007, 05:09:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beros

I just opened up an old phone... Can you guys se if there's any useful parts in there? Um.. I don't really know what to look for.. Guess I'll steal the capacitors and the metal can trannies.. It says *someting* then 12101, on them. The lettering has faded away.. any clues on what it could be?

Man ska inte ligga med lik

PerroGrande

Looks like there are some diodes on there, too.  Who knows -- they might be Germanium...

GREEN FUZ

Aswell as the metal cans there looks to be a couple of silicon trannies. The black ones , three legs, one flat side. Apart from a lot of pretty coloured resistors you also have a handful of diodes. That`s the black fellows with the silver ends. Useful for distortion pedals among other things. I think the glass ones that look a bit like resistors are zener diodes.

slacker

sometimes the microphones in phones are surprisingly good.
Broken cordless phones and especially the base stations often have loads of useful parts in.

Beros

What's the white thing with the blue line, above the R-button?

dennism

Harmonic microphone out of the handset!

R.G.

Those two coupling transformers might be useful for rewinding into inductors. Or transformers.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

boyersdad

Quote from: Beros on July 09, 2007, 06:58:25 PM
What's the white thing with the blue line, above the R-button?

Looks like a rectifier diode.

There are also some box caps (1uf even!) which would probably be worth taking.

The headset transducer is the part I'd be interested in. Make a nice harp mic.
I like amps etc.

km-r

i have two telephones that are not used... but theyre "modern type" lots of ICs and crystals...
too bad...

hey, the inductors look nice!
Look at it this way- everyone rags on air guitar here because everyone can play guitar.  If we were on a lawn mower forum, air guitar would be okay and they would ridicule air mowing.

nordine

markm

mnordbye

Quote from: nordine on July 09, 2007, 09:25:32 PM
use the enclosure  :icon_biggrin:
Like, pick up (kick off?) the phone to turn the effect on!  Hard to turn off in the middle of the gig though...   ;D
General tone addict
Deaf Audio at Facebook

bumblebee

Lots of useful things in there imo,the keypad could be fun on a bent effect/toy or something.
:D

Beros

Quote from: mnordbye on July 10, 2007, 02:42:01 AM
Quote from: nordine on July 09, 2007, 09:25:32 PM
use the enclosure  :icon_biggrin:
Like, pick up (kick off?) the phone to turn the effect on!  Hard to turn off in the middle of the gig though...   ;D
;D