Foot panner in a wah enclosure?

Started by theundeadelvis, July 11, 2007, 12:51:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theundeadelvis

A friend of mine would like for me to build a panner in a wah type enclosure. I am thinking some sort of dual ganged pot with each output wired to it opposite the other. My question is what kind of circuit would I need to make sure one amp's volume goes to zero while the other goes to it's unity and visa versa? Thanks in advance!
If it ain't broke...   ...it will be soon.

BlueToad

If it isn't broken, take it apart and fix it!

Processaurus

Geo panner is good.  Alternatively you could make a killer stereo volume/pan pedal with a single gang pot with an LM1036.  Stereo voltage controlled volume, pan, bass, treble, and loudness (mid notch).  I got a few but haven't had time to get into anything yet.  A plus is you'd never have to worry about the pot getting scratchy.

theundeadelvis

Both excellent suggestions! Thank you very much as usual. Processaurus, do you have a schematic of what you are describing? Sounds very interesting. Thanks again!

Processaurus

I haven't a schematic of my own, but there is a circuit on page 5 of the datasheet. You could tie any of the unwanted controls (treble and bass probably) to 1/2 the zener voltage coming off pin 17 (so its like the bass and treble pots are always set in the middle), with a big cap to ground to de-couple it.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: Processaurus on July 11, 2007, 11:00:06 PM
I haven't a schematic of my own, but there is a circuit on page 5 of the datasheet. You could tie any of the unwanted controls (treble and bass probably) to 1/2 the zener voltage coming off pin 17 (so its like the bass and treble pots are always set in the middle), with a big cap to ground to de-couple it.

Or just have a couple of trimpots, or pots on the side of the box. Might as well!

Processaurus

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave) on July 12, 2007, 12:19:39 AM
Quote from: Processaurus on July 11, 2007, 11:00:06 PM

Or just have a couple of trimpots, or pots on the side of the box. Might as well!

Well, since the drill is out, why not throw in a switch for each pot so that the rocker can control it, it might be fun to be able to swell in some righteous treble.

theundeadelvis

That's a pretty cool chip! Now I got to find one somewhere. Thanks!

Processaurus

ambulancevoice

or you could do this with a single linear pot and no ic's or anything, thanks to Dann Green for showing me this

this will give hard panning
without the need for ics etc
the resistors are to stop the input from shorting to ground
1k can be used to, but nothing less than 1k
Open Your Mouth, Heres Your Money

theundeadelvis

Quote from: ambulancevoice on July 13, 2007, 03:36:50 AM
or you could do this with a single linear pot and no ic's or anything, thanks to Dann Green for showing me this

this will give hard panning
without the need for ics etc
the resistors are to stop the input from shorting to ground
1k can be used to, but nothing less than 1k

I like the simplicity of this, but it seems the difficulty would be fine tuning the wah's travel in order to get the range to completely pan out both amps. I may experiment with this as well. Thanks!

liddokun

To those about to rock, we salute you.

theundeadelvis

Hey thanks liddokun! I had completely forgotten this thread, but I just got back to the project. So perfect timing on your part. Thanks again!

liddokun

No problem. The layout can be found on R.G.'s geofex site in the panning for fun article. It's the pan between two out puts schematic (3rd page I believe). 
To those about to rock, we salute you.