A dual OD/Distortion using a single 4049 chip?

Started by pott, July 11, 2007, 01:13:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spud

QuoteFrom the look of this site, I don't see that there's been any updates for a while. 

I meant HIS site - not this site (obviously)   :icon_redface:

gez

Quote from: Mark Hammer on July 12, 2007, 02:06:09 PMOther CMOS chips like counter chips, NOR/NAND/XOR gates and the like do not have such capabilities.

Actually, both NOR and NAND gates can be used as amplifiers - the proviso being that they be unbuffered.  As chips like the 4001 and 4011 are hard to come by in their unbuffered state, they don't get used much for this application. They bias off-centre due to the construction of each gate, but they work along the same lines as the humble 4049 etc.
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

gez

Quote from: pott on July 12, 2007, 01:15:43 PM
Also if I understand right, the 4049 is actually digital?

They're logic chips, which is a little different; well, to me it is!  :icon_smile:
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

pott

Quote from: spud on July 12, 2007, 02:24:17 PM
Pott,

I built a DD but it still is not working properly.  I swapped the trannies and the chip.  BTW, make sure you get the 4049UBE - as it is unbuffered and that is REQUIRED.  I guess I'll have to dig up that project - I think it might be some bad solders or a lousy layout.  I did it on a Radio Shack IC type perf thing (with two bus strips down the middle - like this:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102845&cp=2032058.2032230.2032265&parentPage=family

The chip stradles the 2 bus lines.  One half is the "Jiggle" side and other is the "bounce" -  I can send you my layout if you want but as it is now I'm not sure if I would trust it.  I made a new one that spaces the parts out more as I tried on the original to cram everything as close as possible.  Not the best strategy for several reasons.  Anyway, I can also post the layout at Bancika's site (DIYFEVER) if anyone is interested.  I'm not sure if he is doing any admin on the site because he said he would be in the states sometime this summer.  From the look of this site, I don't see that there's been any updates for a while. 

If you want the layout, you'll have to wait till I get home as it is on my computer there. 

Later

Thanks! I would have tried to get a PCB done for it though simply enough?
As far as logic chips go... eh... no clue hehe... I'll just build the thing and hope it works basically ;) thanks for the help!