News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

DS-1 Mods?

Started by s.r.v., July 12, 2007, 09:31:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

s.r.v.

Any one have any DS-1 mods? I'm not very happy with the sound, just anything to change it would be good

nephsuperman

i would recommend a search.  there are a ton of discussion topics about the ds-1.  Here is one specifically:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=57519.0
4 successful builds, 2 on the way.  Still trying to learn as much as I can.
GGG tube screamer *2, GGG ross compressor, and the GGG Crybaby replacement circuit.

wampcat1

I imagine there are several hundred different threads on the topic...

click here:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?action=search

96ecss

Toney

boyersdad

I imagine you're kidding, but it's the Boss "Orange" distortion made famous by Mr. Cobain of Nirvana.
I like amps etc.

wampcat1

Quote from: boyersdad on July 13, 2007, 02:59:55 AM
I imagine you're kidding, but it's the Boss "Orange" distortion made famous by Mr. Cobain of Nirvana.

actually, didn't he use the ds-2 rather than the ds-1? I was thinking so...

bw

MikeH

"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

AceLuby

I would recommend one of the Keeley mods.  I just did this to my DS-1 and it sounds WAY better.  HIGHLY recommended.

wampcat1

Quote from: AceLuby on July 13, 2007, 02:28:44 PM
I would recommend one of the Keeley mods.  I just did this to my DS-1 and it sounds WAY better.  HIGHLY recommended.

contrary to popular belief however, the keeley mods are *not* the end all be all, in fact, they are quite simplistic (no offense, just being realistic). That said, I think many would agree there are much better mods to be found from the search archives... just being honest!  :icon_biggrin:

Melanhead

jschwalls

I use others mods as a starting point myself and just go from there...I have tried Keeley's mods on several pedals and always go back and change things, I personally have found that Brians mods over at IndyGuitarist.com are more in line to what my ears prefer. Myself i usually end up increasing the input/output caps to much larger values since i play through small combos and they seem to not reproduce low end as well. My pedals would probably cause havok on a bigger rig..

So basically what i suggest is that you mod YOUR pedal for YOUR needs and enviroment ( like pickup type, amp, other effects ) and not stick with someone elses creation tuned to their ears.

Yun

just to clear up on mr.Cobain:

Kurt used a DS-1 (old japanese issue) until it broke, he then switched to a DS-2, and used it.  Although, aparently he never used the turbo setting.  Kurt wasn't a gear head at all.  his main focus was constructing music rather than guitar tones.....  and he used the sansamp as his main distortion during the "in utero tours".  He did however use the ds-2 sometimes and used the DOD grunge distortion for added feedback and noise.  Especially for their encore of gear destruction....

Here's also a good page for cobain equipment :  www.kurtsequipment.com 
"It's Better to live a lie, and forget the past, then to Forget a lie, and live the past"

Mark Hammer

Four kinds of mods, really:

1) The control-improvement mod.  This can be the adjustment of an existing control's range or the replacement of a fixed component with a variable or switchable replacement to provide more control over what already exists in the pedal.  Makes the pedal more flexible.

2) The WHOA!-I-had-no-idea mod.  This is the insertion of a function, mode, or effect variation which was not part of the original's design or intent.  The stock unit pushed off onto a side-road.

3) The presto-change-o-make-A-into-B mod.  These are mods which take as their starting point the observation that effect A is really only a few components away from being effect B.  Effect B could be an improved version of A, something the modder doesn't want to actually have to buy or make and doesn't mind corrupting a pedal to achieve, or perhapsa reflection of the desire to have a full-function pedalboard with a small footprint.

4) The close-but-no-cigar mod.  Probably the brunt of mods.  Here the builder has a pedal which they generally like, but if only there was juuuuuuuust a little bit less of this, or juuuuuuuuust a little bit more of that....it'd be perfect.  Mostly concerned with tonal nuance,