Switching circuit

Started by rankine, July 12, 2007, 01:59:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rankine

I want to build myself an A/B box that can switch between outputs. I want to do this so I can switch between my two amps for different sounds. Can anyone reccomend a simple circuit for this?

GibsonGM

A simple A/B box can be used in reverse...instead of "this or that in, to one out", just plug in the other way!  Then you get "one in...this or that out"...make sense?
:o)

3 jacks, a DPDT switch (or 3PDT for LEDs to show which is active...), and enclosure is all ya need. 
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Mark Hammer

A "go-here-or-go-there" box can be actually be done, with LED indicator, using a DPDT.  Directing one input to either of two outputs only takes a SPDT, leaving the other set of contacts for LED indicator functioning. 

If you were to build a dual loop selector (i.e., a box that has one in and one out, and selects between one of two send-return loops), using a 3PDT switch, that would be able to double as either a loop selector OR and a/b box.  All you would need to do would be to plug in the guitar and use the choice of send paths as your amp-1/amp-2 outputs.  A little more drilling, and the price of a few more jacks, but a more flexible box, if you ask me.

rankine

Quote from: Mark Hammer on July 12, 2007, 02:48:09 PM
A "go-here-or-go-there" box can be actually be done, with LED indicator, using a DPDT.  Directing one input to either of two outputs only takes a SPDT, leaving the other set of contacts for LED indicator functioning. 
Could you should me a schematic or layout? I'm newish to effect building.
Thanks for the replies

CGDARK

Try this one at:

http://www.fulltone.com/qaframe.html

Click on Build your own Easy, clean  sounding A/B Box   

CG

soulsonic

If you're switching the outputs of the amps you need to do more than just switching them :  the unused amp MUST have a load on it's output, and it MUST be muted at it's input. This is more switching than you can really do with a simple footswitch. I have an untested design that uses some relays. I tried it in a simpler way before, but it honestly didn't work well - there was harmful interactions between the amp.... Each amp must have it's own isolated switching circuit - anything else starts causing problems, especially with high-powered amps.
Check out my NEW DIY site - http://solgrind.wordpress.com