Double your Line 6 presets!?

Started by aksman, July 15, 2007, 03:30:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aksman

anyone seen this Line 6 preset mod switch that plugs into the expression jack on the 4-series pedals???

http://www.martoneaudio.com/indexrobo2.htm

what is it? is there a schem floating around/anyone selling this thing?

tcobretti

If the EXP jack is for an expression pedal, than I suspect all this pedal does is switch on a fixed amount of resistance.  It's kinda like moving an expression pedal to a specific location with the click of a switch.  Very simple, but a nice idea if you don't necessarily want a rocking pedal to mess with.  You could even use a trimpot as the resistor so you can tweak it till you like it, then leave it there.

Processaurus

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=6540.msg38513#msg38513

Mr Huge's  (I think the link is dead for the schematic, but it is really simple) doesn't need a battery, it runs the little bit of power coming out of the expression pedal tip connection through an LED and series resistor (2K, maybe?) to ground (sleeve connection).  The switch just shorts out the LED and resistor, by connecting the tip to the sleeve.  You can use a SPST stompswitch.

My version does need power, but the LED is nice and bright.  You'd want a high brightness LED for Huge's.
Here's my version.  It's not exactly rocket science, but it is great with those pedals.  This version needs a SPDT stompswitch.

I put a switch in my L6 boxes up on top by the logo, and tapped LED power off the battery + connection (which gives 6v).

What is really great is to use a spst momentary switch, foregoing the LED.  In a little external box with a jack, there is a permanent 10K resistor across the tip to sleave, and the switch shorts the tip to the sleeve when you hold it down.  With the DL4 you can do stuff like turn the mix all the way down, then hold the momentary switch down and have all this delay swell in, then when you let go, shhhhhhhhhhlp!  It's gone.  Another favorite is having it be bone dry, then when you hold the button down, it's 100% wet reversed delay.  You hold the switch down when you want to make the switch down setting.

Processaurus

If you already have a simple amp switch lying around, you could even just make a special mono (TS) cable that has a 10K resistor between tip and sleeve, right inside the plug.  45 second mod!

aksman

i guess i just dont understand... because this all sounds like just using a switch instead of a pedal for the expression jack, not actually giving you an extra set of presets...

i.e. i couldn't have a sweep delay on the first button, then press the expression pedal button and have it go to volume swells or something, right?

Processaurus

Quote from: aksman on July 15, 2007, 06:04:56 AM
i guess i just dont understand... because this all sounds like just using a switch instead of a pedal for the expression jack, not actually giving you an extra set of presets...

i.e. i couldn't have a sweep delay on the first button, then press the expression pedal button and have it go to volume swells or something, right?

No.  It just gives you two settings in the same model. 

jimosity

Has anybody got an actual picture of this switch/mod/wiring; preferably the one that uses the 9V?
Jim Rodgers
jim@americanhc.com

Processaurus

Sorry, no time these days for cute wiring diagrams.  If you felt like making one from the schematic I'd be glad to look it over.

Oh, I tried the Mr Huge way (leeching power off the cord to the modeler to run the LED) with a super bright blue LED and it worked well, it was bright enough.  The blue LED has a ~3v forward voltage, so the voltage seen on the tip connection back on the modeler is closer to what it would see with a 10K expression pedal, compared to a ~1.4v red LED.