Sundial vs Boutique Fuzz contour control

Started by Nico666, July 16, 2007, 03:27:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nico666

Hi

I am pretty new to DIY but I am getting hooked. My builts so far have been simple circuits (Minibooster and Rangemaster clone) but I am  plaaning to move to more sophisticated stuff in the future.
Next on my bench is a FF clone. I will use the stock FF circuit with some mods (couldn't resist). Th input bias and either the sundial or the contour control from the Boutique fuzz on GGG.
I understand where both are supposed to be in the circuit and what they will do theoretically but I can't figure out how different they will act, given the fact that they are placed either before or after the output.
Can someone give me a hint into this?

Thanks

Nicolas

PS: Great place, btw!

momiel

I'm sorry but my English sucks!

Freaking with real fuzz boxes...

Nico666

Yeah I read the GeoFX article about FF but I still can't see how different the Fuller output mod is from the sundial.
As i see it on the schematics from GGG, the Sundial would be like the trimmer 10k at the output of the second transistor. So what is the use of having this 1k pot in addition to the trimmer as opposed to a n accessible pot in place of the trimmer?

Nicolas

momiel

The 1k pot mod give you a louder output than stock FF with 10k trimmer...

Nico666

momiel

You can also use the 10 k trimmer together with the 1k contour pot.

Dragonfly

The sundial, IIRC, is simply a pot that biases Q2. It replaces the 8k2 resistor. a nice setup is to use a 4k7 connecting to a 10k pot.

the contour control on GGG boutique (IIRC...im not looking at the schemo) affects overall output and midrage tone. IIRC it replaces the 330/470 resistor.