transformer help Toronto

Started by SGdan, July 17, 2007, 12:21:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGdan

Hi.
Im looking to try my hand at the bobtavia circuit or one of the octave fuzz circuits involving the radioshack audio ourput transformer (part 237-1380) but since theres no radio shack in toronto anymore(i think), I cant seem to find this part.  Our radio shack equivilent, The source doesnt have it.  does anybody from Toronto know a place where I can get one of these? I'd appreciate it a lot thanks.

SGdan

jrc4558

Eh...
ACTIVE SURPLUS?
Enter and walk to the back. Pass the wire rack, approach the rear wall and turn right. The next isle, on the west side - A BUNCH of boxes with various transformers. Grab a DMM from the front counter and measure one that has ~150-250ohm. But really, being driven by an IC, you should have no problems.
If all else fails - go to formere Supremetronics at College/Spadina.

As you can tell - Im from Toronto myself. Feel free to ask more if you need to.

Mark Hammer

Go to Supremetronic first.  You're looking for a 1k:8R transformer.  They should have them, along with 10k:10k and a host of others.  I suspect if you give them the specs, they can help identify a suitable equivalent.  I haven't been to the "new" Active Surplus, but it is traditionally a bigger store, and as a result somewhat less helpful because they have to keep their eyes peeled for folks walking out with stuff.  They also have a less defined stock list than Supremetronic.

magikker

Is there a good place to get transformers for some of the common projects online... I always see the radioshack part referenced but never mouser numbers or anyhting else.

The Tone God

I agree with others give Supremetronic a crack first. Active Surplus is a hit and miss place for things like that.

Quote from: magikker on July 17, 2007, 11:57:40 AM
Is there a good place to get transformers for some of the common projects online... I always see the radioshack part referenced but never mouser numbers or anyhting else.

The problem with part numbers, particularly with Mouser, is part numbers constantly change. It becomes hard to maintain accurate information so it is just better off to give specs and let people decide for themselves.

Personally I'm a Digikey fan for online stuff.

Andrew

jrc4558

Supremetronics moved to College/Spadina. They're now called Honson. South-WEst corner, about 30 meters westwards. Last building before the Buddist temple.

SGdan

thanks ill check out supremetronic after work sometime.   good to see lots of toronto based people.  :)

SGdan

So today I went to supremetronic and asked and they dint have the exact spec part but they had a 400R:8R transformer and when i breadboarded it.......It worked!  just want to say thanks to yall.