DOD FX54 Attacker

Started by Mark Hammer, July 17, 2007, 11:37:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Hammer

Browsing through a binder of commercial distortion pedal schems this morning, I re-stumbled across the FX54.  Interesting pedal.  Kind of a rather compact Deluxe Big Muff Pi in many respects.  The distortion section is very close to an op-amp Big Muff, and the compressor section is very close to a Dynacomp.  If you see one cheap, you should pick it up.  The stock unit doesn't come with the capability, but the schematic suggests it is a simple matter to separate the compressor and distortion functions.

Dragonfly

Quote from: Mark Hammer on July 17, 2007, 11:37:08 AM
Browsing through a binder of commercial distortion pedal schems this morning, I re-stumbled across the FX54.  Interesting pedal.  Kind of a rather compact Deluxe Big Muff Pi in many respects.  The distortion section is very close to an op-amp Big Muff, and the compressor section is very close to a Dynacomp.  If you see one cheap, you should pick it up.  The stock unit doesn't come with the capability, but the schematic suggests it is a simple matter to separate the compressor and distortion functions.

good to know !

My favorite "cheap" DOD pedal is the FX84 Milk Box. Its one heck of a good compressor...I havent been able to find a schematic, but since you can buy a used one for $25-$30, its probably not worth tthe effort to build one. Still, I'd like to see the the circuit just to satisfy my curiousity.

The FX52 Classic Fuzz is another good sounding, cheap DOD pedal.

And the FX51 Juice Box....another schematic I'd like to see.

Heck, there are lots of cool old DOD effects....I havent found a "distortion" that they make that i like though.

Jaicen_solo

I really like the DOD FX series actually. Can't say I care for the chorus. I know it's digital and quite sterile sounding, so I imagine it works for metal or stuff like that.
One gem in the series I can recommend is the FX35 Octoplus (I think that's what it's called). This has some sort of PLL octave divider and a nice fixed low pass filter. It sounds really good in my opinion, and can be modded to sound great (ie, open up the filter a little). FET bypass is not all that good, but otherwise they're great. Very solid construction to bot!

Dragonfly

The FX90 is a cool little analog delay...

heres a schemo....

Mark Hammer

Just as I figured, the schematic can be found at Colin's "Experimentalists Anonymous" site: http://experimentalistsanonymous.com/diy/Schematics/Distortion%20Boost%20and%20Overdrive/DOD%20FX54.gif

....along with a bunch of other Boss and DOD schems.  This page is a good one to bookmark: http://experimentalistsanonymous.com/diy/

Dragonfly

Quote from: Mark Hammer on July 17, 2007, 01:34:30 PM
Just as I figured, the schematic can be found at Colin's "Experimentalists Anonymous" site: http://experimentalistsanonymous.com/diy/Schematics/Distortion%20Boost%20and%20Overdrive/DOD%20FX54.gif

....along with a bunch of other Boss and DOD schems.  This page is a good one to bookmark: http://experimentalistsanonymous.com/diy/

I JUST VISITED THAT SITE A FEW DAYS AGO :)

mnordbye

I have a DOD Stereo Chorus and the 6band EQ (FX60 and FXsomething.) . The chorus is great, the EQ is ok but really noisy (not recommended on distortion pedal setups).

As for schematics for DOD pedals, i think www.schematicheaven.com has a whole lot of them.

Magnus N
General tone addict
Deaf Audio at Facebook

Dragonfly

also www.freeinformationsociety.com ....but i dont like that they post certain schematics (JD Sleeps, for instance) without permission.

choklitlove

i was given an older FX53 - Classic Tube.  i was blown away by this thing.  it sounds great.  not sure how close to tube it is, but it's still got a great tone to it.

i just can't use it for anything i write, though.  it's mean as hell when cranked.
my band.                    my DIY page.                    my solo music.

puretube

Quote from: Dragonfly on July 17, 2007, 02:38:01 PM
also www.freeinformationsociety.com ....but i dont like that they post certain schematics (JD Sleeps, for instance) without permission.

no morels...  :icon_razz:

Mark Hammer

Hell, no chanterelles or oysters for that matter, either! :icon_lol:

puretube

"morels" is the current HC-jargon for what the committee here would interprete as: "ethics", or: "respect"...   :icon_wink:

(yes, they got that too, over there!  :icon_wink:)

Dragonfly

Quote from: puretube on July 17, 2007, 04:47:14 PM
"morels" is the current HC-jargon for what the committee here would interprete as: "ethics", or: "respect"...   :icon_wink:

(yes, they got that too, over there!  :icon_wink:)

;)

hendrix2489

i just got a dod fx54 attacker for $15 bucks, looks new. sounds pretty good as a boost and compressor but not  that good as a distortion.

dv8r601

I just Got one of these and I LOVE it , except i wish i could dial up the gain more. I see that the Distortion section is very very similar to the 77 op amp big muff  with a few slight changes. anyone know how to get more distortion outta this hidden gem?

blackieNYC

DODs are very large pedals!
  • SUPPORTER
http://29hourmusicpeople.bandcamp.com/
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers