New to building, What should i build for my 1st Project???

Started by tkwon, September 17, 2003, 01:12:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tkwon

Im new to buiding, and I want to find a good first project to start on.  I saw some F/X building books online, Is that a good thing to get?...I saw alot of resources online, but theres so many I dont know what to do.  I want to build something that i can use with my bass.  So do you have any suggestions on whats a good F/X to start with.  Building stompboxes seems like a lot of fun.  Thanks for the help.

Mark Hammer

Normally, recommendations from people when answering this question revolve around fuzzes or things that are easy to build or have interesting sounds or inexpensively mimic a costly commercial device.

I'll try a different track for once. If you are starting from scratch one of the biggest hurdles is getting a sufficient bin of parts, tools, etc to put a "simple project" together.  People underestimate how much easier it is to build something "simple" after they have amassed a storehouse of resources and expertise.

One of the things that will be common to *every* pedal you might make, though, is a box, a switch, and jacks.  Though the switch may be tricky to find locally, boxes and jacks will be obtainable everywhere there is a Radio Shack and probably even more readily than that.

There have been several threads here and on Ampage over the recent past regarding loop-switchers.  This is a box that essentially lets you treat you 438 fuzzes plugged one into the other as if they were one giant effect and switch the whole thing in or out.  Such a box also doubles as an A/B amp switcher, letting you direct your bass signal to one output or the other.  There are a myriad of other uses, but the nice thing is that you can build a basic version for about $25 worth of parts, it never needs batteries, there is nothing to burn out, and it never goes out of style or loses its utility.

That's my vote.

PB Wilson

I would suggest that you devour the many sites on the web related to effects building and get yourself to a library. Craig Anderton's books are good, as are general books on electronic circuits. Ask questions and work as carefully as you can. As in carpentry, "measure twice, cut once." Or in effects building, "check the components twice (three, four, five times), solder once." The consolation if you screw up is that you can undo many of the problems that might occur. Your de-soldering braid is your friend!

petemoore

There are a buncha recent posts about this subt.
 Check out one of the first few threads: only inexperienced builders...
 some other threads to check out with a similar subject line occurred a few days ago...
 I learnd much from Small Bear [links] checking out the article with pics and descripts about building the Tweak-O...
 The reason I say LPB is once you build one [if like me] you'll be finding out that you need it.
 ez find parts, few nodes, and great sound
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

RDV

QuoteThe reason I say LPB is once you build one [if like me] you'll be finding out that you need it.
Hey Pete:

Do you use the standard in/out caps for your LPB's? I stopped using them altogether cause they seemed a bit muddy to me.

Regards

RDV

Mark Hammer

A useful inventory of questions to help direct your query and responses to it in the right direction....

Do you have ready access to a digital multimeter?  Could you spring $40 for one right now?

Do you have a medium wattage (25-40W) soldering *iron* (as opposed to a soldering "gun")?

Do you have access to a drill press, vice, or other things needed for fabrication/machining of chassis?  (appropriate pliers fits in there too)

How much can you spend right now to set yourself up?

Is there an industrial electronics outlet (or two) in your area where you could drop by, and pick up a couple of 220k resistors and a chip or two if you felt like it?

Are you in a position to order parts and pay for them over the net?

Are you in the continental USA or somewhere else where shipping things from common suppliers might be awkward?

Would it be safe to set up a small etching tank/container where you live to produce printed circuit boards? (You *NEVER* want to spill or splash etchant, trust me)

All of these factors will shape what is a feasible and rewarding (rather than frustrating) starting point for you in making your own projects.

smallbearelec

Mark's suggestion of an A-B box is certainly appropriate. However, if you choose a noisemaker, many people start with one of the designs at Tonepad, GeneralGuitarGadgets or Runoffgroove. They are all tested and have been done successfully by many before you.

Your most basic choice is whether to build on a ready-to-solder PC board or to hard-wire on perfboard. How I might make this call: If what you want to build is one stage, hard-wiring is fine for a first build, and it is something you should learn. If you choose something that is more than one stage, buy a board! (Rolling your own PC board is proabably best left for project number 3.) No doubt, other people here will share their favorites with you. Welcome to the musical madhouse!

Regards
Steve Daniels

Samuel

When I started I went with the "Electra" distortion, which was nice cause it was very simple and you can find all the parts at Radio Shack. Plus the PCB (if you're inclined to go straight to PCB as I did) is very easy to draw with the Sharpie included in the RS PCB kit. (The RadioShack PCB kit s not a bad deal, really, two sheets of copper, etchant, ink remover, trays, steel wool and the aforementioned Sharpie for 15 bucks...)

I got the Electra on the first try as I recall, even if the sound was rather underwhelming.