Switching power off on the stomp?

Started by Hambo, July 20, 2007, 06:45:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hambo

Just wondering. My FSH is great, but very noisy in bypass, I've tried grounding the input with no change. The only thing that works is to remove the power jack when not using it.. So I've wired the stomp now something like this to switch the 9v power on and off at the same time:

1:Effect in        4:Eff out           7:9v+
2:input jack      5:Output jack    8:effect 9v+ AND LED +
3:>--------------6:<                  9: n/a

It seems to work ok, but I've never seen this advocated anywhere, so I'm just wondering if theres any reason not to, and if I'm risking damaging anything?

Cheers.

Mark Hammer

The problem with "unpowering" a circuit in bypass mode is that it generally isn't instantly available when you switch it back in.  The assorted electrolytic caps one uses to smooth out the power lines take a moment to charge up fully and that adds lag in the switchover.

Given your mention of 9v, I take it the problem with your noise is the charge pump and associated clock whine?  It might be best to put all of that on a separate board, shield it decently, and run the power lines from there to the audio circuit proper.

Hambo

Well, if its not going to damage anything, I'll use this.
Its not the whine as such, more like a buzzing hum, its not too noticable until I put some distortion on further down the line, then its just everywhere. I may try the daughterboard thingy one day, unfortunately I find I have less and less time for doing this stuff lately :(

Cheers Mark.