Sustain Pot in RossComp acts like Volume!

Started by Shakal, July 20, 2007, 10:38:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shakal

Why is that?

Is there anything wrong or it's right?

I just set the level at minimum and raise up the sustain, and the volume comes up with it.

Another thing: The Ross Compressor acts like a huge booster for me!  When sustain and level are both down, the volume is the same( on or off), but when I raise a little bit the pots(both at 12 oclock) its like 2 or 3 times the volume of the bypass signal.

Can someone explain that for me please?

Thanks!

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

I am afraid that something is wrong.
What is happening is that the sustain pot is just varying the control curent to the CA3080 (hence the gain controlling behavior).
I suspect an error somewhere in the right hand side of the circuit, the envelope detection part or the amplifying stages after it.
Reversed transistor? Short circuit?

Shakal

I searched but found no bad solder or shorts... The trannys are ok too.

Actually I said wrong. The sustain pot boosts the volume only in the last quarter of the pot... Before it the volume keeps almost the same, but even, its a real boost!

And its sustain really works! Its cool when u play a note with the Compressor off and wait the sound fade out, then u turn on the comp and MAGIC the sound is there again!

Maybe the pot is the problem? Or some resistor?

brunocbicalho

I think it's normal.. .because my dyna did it too....  put it's cutting frequences...

maybe thats why there's a volume pot....

Papa_lazerous

Ok...........................

Do yourself a huge favour and post voltages,

B E & C for each transistor each pin of the CA3080 and what you have at your battery.

if there is a problem it will show there

brunocbicalho

another question, I can't get difference in the sound whem I use the 4pdt switch to get the dyna/ross mode

It always sounded the same!

Yeah... I've already triple checked the circuit

brunocbicalho

ah, one question, how the sound would looks like talking about the difference in dyna and switching it to ross?

Papa_lazerous

Quote from: brunocbicalho on July 27, 2007, 07:12:35 PM
ah, one question, how the sound would looks like talking about the difference in dyna and switching it to ross?

That doesnt really make a hell of allot of sence fella, I can only assume that you are asking what is different soudn wise on the ross and dyna  ???

Basically in short, there is more filtering on one than the other and also slightly differences on the bias of Q1 and a few other subtle differences.  Some prefer the ross some the mxr.  I prefer the ross personally