As a Beginner: Best Trem Box

Started by foozertone, July 21, 2007, 05:59:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foozertone

From the perspective of an inexperienced builder which of the following is the better build. I don't mind straining myself for better quality. Which one?
EA Tremelo
Trem Face
Anderton's Trem Project
Kay Tremelo
Stereo Trem
   These are products from GGG where I have a credit for a PCB

Jeff

GibsonGM

The way I go about this is to search the forum and read the "reviews"...see what others are saying about each circuit.  It's really subjective, but one of them might jump out at you as "the one"!!  Look for "just like a real tube trem", statements like that.  I would suspect that you'll be happy with any one of those, myself.

The 'old timers' frequently will analyze how lots of these circuits work, and you can see how they stack up to say, vintage effects using tubes or other "mojo" technologies.  Sometimes you find sound samples, too!
Welcome to the forum, you'll probably become addicted and build them all at some point! 
;o)
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

R.G.

I'm never short an opinion, I guess.

As a beginner, build the EA tremolo. It's easy enough to do, but provides a good enough sound to be worth the effort.

The others you mention all have issues, ranging from sound quality to complexity.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

captntasty

I'll second the EA.  Not only is it a relatively east build it sounds great!  Not the best of all trems but very useable.  In addition, there are numerous mods that can be done on this effect - faster/slower speeds being one - it makes this effect virtually a workshop for learning some of the basics that can be used in other effects.  Definitely research trems and what can be done with them... good luck, have fun.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Barcode80

having built 3 EA trems (2 normal and the bildger version) i can say that i have 3 non-functioning tremolos with the same symptom (rate LED stays solid and no trem effect, just clean boost). having built the tremulus lune and firing it up on first try, i'm a tad confused by everyone's suggesting how easy the EA trem is. nothing but headaches for me.

Hiwatt25

I've built two EA's with varying degrees of success.  From what I can gather, the EA can be a finicky circuit and it seems that part tolerance can "stack up" and ultimately lead to a weak sounding trem.  At least that's what I've been told.  That said, why not take some time to etch your own HEART THROB?  In my opinion it's a great sounding trem with a vary full range of speeds and depth.  I'm sure MarkM will post here shortly and tell you the same thing. 

jlullo

I've built 1 EA for a friend, and liked it so much that i'm building one for myself right now.

it's great... I used to have a Prescription Electronics Throb, and i think the EA blows it out of the water.  Way warmer sounding

aron

Barcode80

then i would love it if you guys could help me debug my three defunct builds... i've got a thread started.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=59433.msg465002#msg465002

momiel

heart throb. for sure. I heard the schaller tremolo (the heart throb is a slightly modded schaller) and it sounds very cool! and it's quite easy to build!!
I'm sorry but my English sucks!

Freaking with real fuzz boxes...

the_random_hero

I've got one on the bench that's I'm pretty tempted to throw out. I've been over the whole pedal trying to work out what I did wrong - I can't see any mistakes.
Completed Projects - Modded DS1, The Stiffy, Toaster Ruby, Octobooster Mk. II, Pedal Power Supply

smnm

hmm - I gave up on my EA trem.
I use my yellow Danelectro one a lot though...

might try the heart throb, but I've got no time at the moment.

markm

Quote from: smnm on July 23, 2007, 06:11:04 AM
hmm - I gave up on my EA trem.
I use my yellow Danelectro one a lot though...

might try the heart throb, but I've got no time at the moment.

That truly is a shame.
The EA is one of my favorites but, I think the Hearthrob may be a bit easier to fire up 'cause it uses BJT's.
Build the Hearthrob, very versatile and sounds great IMO.  8)

R.G.

QuoteI've been over the whole pedal trying to work out what I did wrong - I can't see any mistakes.
That's an accurate description of every build with a bug in it for the time period before you see the bug. Do a search. How many debugging stories here end with some version of "Oh, I am so embarrassed. I could not see that problem no matter how many times I looked."?

That's one reason I wrote "What to do when it doesn't work." It breaks you out of the rut by making you do something different from checking your build the same way you built it, as well as giving other people a hand on how to help you.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

the_random_hero

Quote from: R.G. on July 23, 2007, 10:05:07 AM
QuoteI've been over the whole pedal trying to work out what I did wrong - I can't see any mistakes.
That's an accurate description of every build with a bug in it for the time period before you see the bug. Do a search. How many debugging stories here end with some version of "Oh, I am so embarrassed. I could not see that problem no matter how many times I looked."?

That's one reason I wrote "What to do when it doesn't work." It breaks you out of the rut by making you do something different from checking your build the same way you built it, as well as giving other people a hand on how to help you.

You're very right (as usual  ;)). Once I get a spare moment, I might start a new thread on it.
Completed Projects - Modded DS1, The Stiffy, Toaster Ruby, Octobooster Mk. II, Pedal Power Supply