Soldering iron tip question?

Started by jpm83, July 24, 2007, 04:12:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpm83

Am I doing some thing wrong because my soldering iron tips look like this after a couple projects? If buying a better tip would help, what brands are kind of "safe" choices.

Janne

GREEN FUZ

I`ve been having similar problems. Do a quick search for some..err...tips on extending the life of your tip. To answer your question though, Weller and Hakko are two names that seem to come up consistently in revues of Soldering Irons.

jpm83

Thanks for answering. It's kind of a relief to know I'm not alone with this problem.

Janne

the_random_hero

It kind of looks like the plating has worn off the tip, which then leads to all the copper flowing out of the tip, leaving you with what we see there. Do you ever use anything harsh (cleaning with sandpaper, wire brush, etc) on the tip or have ever dropped/bent it? Do you leave the iron on for extended periods of time?
Completed Projects - Modded DS1, The Stiffy, Toaster Ruby, Octobooster Mk. II, Pedal Power Supply

darron

while it's hot (useable) does it just clean up with a little bit of very fine steel wool or dampened tissues?
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!

jpm83

Quote from: the_random_hero on July 24, 2007, 04:45:07 AM
It kind of looks like the plating has worn off the tip, which then leads to all the copper flowing out of the tip, leaving you with what we see there. Do you ever use anything harsh (cleaning with sandpaper, wire brush, etc) on the tip or have ever dropped/bent it? Do you leave the iron on for extended periods of time?

It was on for a quite long time on in last project. I usually clean the tip now and then during soldering with vet sponge.

Janne

snufkin

i had similar problems until i realised the coating was the most important part

so now i have my dirty  cheap iron for de-soldering parts and pushing stuff about and one with a finer tip for intricate work
easyface,phase 90,many fuzz faces,feedback looper,tremulus lune and so on soon to be ADA!

oskar

Quote from: snufkin on July 24, 2007, 05:35:14 AM
i had similar problems until i realised the coating was the most important part

so now i have my dirty  cheap iron for de-soldering parts and pushing stuff about and one with a finer tip for intricate work

1. If the tip is plated it is important not to hurt it mechanically. Don't use force with it. Once you get a breach in the outer layer,
it will just corrode really fast.
2. You also don't use a wet sponge for it but a just lightly dampened, rinse the sponge and then squeeze it really hard.
It shouldn't be dripping.

smallbearelec

This is a common issue with cheap iron tips, especially the Radio Shack tools that some people start with. They are not well-made, and they corrode prematurely.

I sell Cooper Tool (Weller) irons and tips. They're more expensive than many no-name irons, but the tips are iron-clad. They will last a long time if cleaned regularly with a damp sponge while working. I have no experience with Hakko, but they also have a good rep here.

Also true:

[/quote]
it is important not to hurt (the tip) mechanically. Don't use force with it. Once you get a breach in the outer layer, it will just corrode really fast.
[/quote]

moro

Just a note that Weller has nice irons and cheapies. The ones with the blue handles (which is what Smallbear carries) are the nice ones. The ones with the orange handles have cheap tips and those will corrode after a while.

GREEN FUZ

I`ve just put a new tip on my Elcheopo iron and in no time at all it started to discolour. I`ve had enough of putting hard work into a build only for it to be compromised at the last hurdle by a crappy tool. I`m investing in a Soldering station.

jpm83

Quote from: GREEN FUZ on July 24, 2007, 06:27:17 PM
I`ve just put a new tip on my Elcheopo iron and in no time at all it started to discolour. I`ve had enough of putting hard work into a build only for it to be compromised at the last hurdle by a crappy tool. I`m investing in a Soldering station.

So upgrading a better tip won't help if iron is "Elcheapo" type? And many thanks for all the replies, you guys are cool. :icon_cool:

Janne

soulsonic

What's happening to the tip is TOTALLY what happens if you don't keep it tinned. The tip should be kept tinned AT ALL TIMES - especially when it's sitting there hot and not being used. Just melt some solder onto the tip and leave it there. While the iron is on, the tip should always be kept shiny with molten solder.

They tell you not to use sandpaper or anything like that on it, but you totally can - and in many cases it's easiest way to salvage a crummy tip. I've actually put them on a grinder before. Yeah, you remove all the plating when you do that - but if the tip looks all nasty, chances are the plating is already gone. When it's starts getting like that, you're going to have to replace it soon regardless of what you do to it, but sanding it down until it's shiny again and then re-tinning it with some melted solder can work wonders for it. Based on my experiences, I estimate you should be able to get at least 10 more hours of use out of it if you sand it and re-tin it. This is based on my years of experience soldering stuff 8 hours a day, 5 days a week.
Check out my NEW DIY site - http://solgrind.wordpress.com

jpm83

GREEN FUZ

Quote from: soulsonic on July 25, 2007, 02:28:30 AM
What's happening to the tip is TOTALLY what happens if you don't keep it tinned. The tip should be kept tinned AT ALL TIMES - especially when it's sitting there hot and not being used. Just melt some solder onto the tip and leave it there. While the iron is on, the tip should always be kept shiny with molten solder.
I do all this stuff religiously yet it doesn`t seem to make a huge amount of difference. I`m convinced the iron is getting too hot in the idle periods between soldering. I`ve come to the conclusion that some sort of temperature control is the way to go.

QuoteI estimate you should be able to get at least 10 more hours of use out of it if you sand it and re-tin it. This is based on my years of experience soldering stuff 8 hours a day, 5 days a week.
Do you do this for a living? I`m lucky to get 10 minutes out of mine.

runmikeyrun

haha i've had the same tip for 3 years, when it gets dull i just file it down on a fine file and sand it, then coat with solder and wipe off excess in 0000 steel wool pad to tin.  This is because i do not care to buy replacement tips all the time and it works just fine. 
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

ubersam

Quote from: moro on July 24, 2007, 05:48:02 PM
Just a note that Weller has nice irons and cheapies. The ones with the blue handles (which is what Smallbear carries) are the nice ones. The ones with the orange handles have cheap tips and those will corrode after a while.
I have one of each. I started out with the SP23L / Orange handle and used it for years. It seems that the durability of the tips for the SP23L worsened in the last few years. The tips were never really that great to begin with but IIRC, they lasted for more than 2 projects before becoming unusable. So, I upgraded and got the WP25 (blue handle), then eventually gave in and bought a Hakko soldering station.

soulsonic

Quote from: GREEN FUZ on July 25, 2007, 04:05:22 AM
Do you do this for a living? I`m lucky to get 10 minutes out of mine.

Yes, I did it for a living up until a few months ago when I got laid-off.
Check out my NEW DIY site - http://solgrind.wordpress.com