oddball pedals on ebay

Started by smnm, July 25, 2007, 12:44:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smnm

Colorsound Dopplatone?
I like the name...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/COLORSOUND-DOPPLATONE-dopplereffekt-DEFECT-RARE_W0QQitemZ170132680901

Maestro Full Range Booster?
lots of odd/fragile-looking switches - maybe this was intended for use with keyboards?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1972-Gibson-Maestro-Full-Range-Booster-Fuzz-Effects_W0QQitemZ190134435819

gez

Cool stuff, but pity about the prices (have you seen the postage for the colorsound?)

We should get a lottery grant to buy these things and reverse engineer them! 
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

runmikeyrun

or just start our own lottery on here!  Monthly 50/50 winner or something, the other half goes to a pre-determined fund that aron or another designated person will spend on a pedal  to reverse engineer.  We choose the pedal through a poll, set aside the 50/50 money and then someone designated by us will watch the Bay for one to come up, and then bid/purchase at a spending cap we also decide as a group. 

This person could be an experienced builder/hobbyist or small pedal/parts business owner who we know will actually do it and do it well.  They could take gut shots, design a schematic and layout and also catalog any special types of parts/components and values used.

Not everyone will be happy on the choices of pedals but it COULD work.
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

magikker

If we wanted to do that... Buy wierd old rare stuff... The best bet is to have a bunch of people chip in a couple bucks... Then after we buy and reverse a wierd old effect we could put it back on ebay, get our money back and do it again...

jonathan perez

Quote from: magikker on July 25, 2007, 04:43:53 PM
If we wanted to do that... Buy wierd old rare stuff... The best bet is to have a bunch of people chip in a couple bucks... Then after we buy and reverse a wierd old effect we could put it back on ebay, get our money back and do it again...

i like it  8)
no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

gez

Actually, my post was tounge-in-cheek.  In the UK the lottery is state run and a percentage goes to worthy projects: grants to keep the arts afloat/money to help restore old buildings/money to buy old pedals off eBay...

No reason why you couldn't do it though.

"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

magikker

I feel like this board easily has the talent to pull it off. The big deal would be whether or not we have the motivation and cordination.

This could be a great way to expand the schematics database and might be the best option for getting a hold of the wierd rare old stuff....

I know I'd love to buy those pedals and open them up to see how they work, but I'm not quite willing to pay for them on my current income. I just can't bring myself to spend 50 bucks or more to figure out some wierd old box is just a fuzz face clone. However I'd quickly chip in a percentage of the price to get the same knowledge. If we could manage to resell the pedals on Ebay or elsewhere for about the same price, my couple bucks could go along way in unlocking quite a few old pedals... 

If enough people here feel the same way we could have an awesome project on our hands.

cheeb

Speaking of oddball pedals, I have had not one but THREE dreams wherein I achieved tone that made my listeners cry through the use of a:  Maestro Parametric Filter.

Does anybody know where I can get one of these? I'd kill for one.

Sorry for the OT.

reverberation66

I think the pedal buying/reverse engineering/reselling co-op idea is a great one, I'd definitely throw in a  few dollars for such a project.

smnm

Quote from: reverberation66 on July 26, 2007, 11:45:23 AM
         I think the pedal buying/reverse engineering/reselling co-op idea is a great one, I'd definitely throw in a  few dollars for such a project.

I think so too - is there a precedent for anything like this?  Anyone want to volunteer to be the treasurer? It could get complicated....

magikker

I know some people with a little experience in this... But really it is pretty simple... It takes a couple people to volunteer. The main job we need is someone to do the reversing. Anyone with a Pay Pal account (that is trustworthy) can collect the money and bid on things... It's harder to find someone to do all the reversing, that's a job that I know I'm not suited for at the moment.

Rectangular

I think this is a fantastic idea. if we all "loaned" about 20-30 bucks into a pool, we'd easily have enough money to get some real weird/rare pedals. as for who actually gets the pedals in the mail, it would have to be someone with a decent digital camera and a scanner, obviously enough technical knowledge to list off all the components properly,  then once the information "package" is complete, it can be uploaded and any member who wants to take a crack at the PCB design would be free to do so. once we have a working clone, the rare pedal gets thrown back on ebay, and since most of these pedals have a standard value (like Lovetone meatballs are almost consistently 500-600 dollars) we should be able to get our cash back.. even if we're a bit short, it would only come out to a 3-5 dollar loss for each contributor, which i still think is a great deal for rare pedal schematics/pcb layouts. 

what do you guys think ? we'd need to agree on which pedals we'd want to "hunt" for. personally, I still want a Lovetone ¿Flanger? with No Name

RickL

I'd contribute to such a fund and I might even have a couple of pedals that could be reverse engineered. Don't bother buying the Full Range Booster though. There's a schematic for it on Mark Hammer's site and I can confirm that it's accurate. I'd love to see the Dopplatone though, or almost any of the pedals Coloursound put out in their real prolific period.

DuoSonicboy

A few dudes have been trying to clone the Phase II - there is an at least partial schem on GeoFX
as far as I know, no clones

Someone, PLEASE, look at the Geo schem and workup a clone!!!