Your opinions please!!!

Started by grrrrrant, July 25, 2007, 02:21:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magikker

Reading posts by other people that share my first name is a bit odd.

Though, I guess I would suggest that if you are looking for something to build that's easy on the pocket but you don't really care what it does you might look into a fuzz face.

grrrrrant

Thank you all for your replies.  I'm sorry for the "little question in a BIG world".  I like to play metal, classick rock, jazz, blues.  I love to play a little of everything.  As for the tremelo deal, I love the Fender Blackface.  I would like to build an eq pedal, but which ones are easier?  Graphic or parametric?  Anyways, thanks again for everyone's input. 

Grant

runmikeyrun

Quote from: Mark Hammer on July 25, 2007, 02:51:57 PM
You will never ever go wrong with a loop selector. 

absolutely correct.  Indispensable tool and simple to build.
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

grrrrrant

I have built an A/B box, but you know I never thought about building a bigger one!  Good idea!

Dragonfly

Quote from: grrrrrant on July 25, 2007, 03:12:19 PM
Thank you all for your replies.  I'm sorry for the "little question in a BIG world".  I like to play metal, classick rock, jazz, blues.  I love to play a little of everything.  As for the tremelo deal, I love the Fender Blackface.  I would like to build an eq pedal, but which ones are easier?  Graphic or parametric?  Anyways, thanks again for everyone's input. 

Grant

Tremolo ---the EA tremolo is a darn good one, and a easy build. You can find the project at www.runoffgroove.com

Fuzz.---fuzz faces are good, but if you're gonna go for germanium, i would buy the "pre selected" ones at www.smallbearelec.com for your first build. Also, read "The Technology Of The Fuzz Face" at www.geofex.com

EQ---probably the easiest way to build an effective graphic EQ is the kit at www.buildyourownclone.com

Pushtone

Watch out for that EA Tremolo build.

It uses a lot of large value caps.
I heard the "greenie" caps were good to use so I ordered those without checking their physical size.
Almost didn't get it in the box because of those huge caps.
Now I use the metalized box caps. That would have been a better choice for the EAT.
It's time to buy a gun. That's what I've been thinking.
Maybe I can afford one, if I do a little less drinking. - Fred Eaglesmith

Dragonfly

Quote from: Pushtone on July 25, 2007, 04:29:26 PM

Watch out for that EA Tremolo build.

It uses a lot of large value caps.
I heard the "greenie" caps were good to use so I ordered those without checking their physical size.
Almost didn't get it in the box because of those huge caps.
Now I use the metalized box caps. That would have been a better choice for the EAT.

i assume youre referring to the 1uf caps ?

try tants or electro's...much easier fit :)

markm

The .68 caps are huge like that too!

Dragonfly

Quote from: markm on July 25, 2007, 04:34:08 PM

I personally like .82uf caps there.

markm

Quote from: Dragonfly on July 25, 2007, 04:37:36 PM
Quote from: markm on July 25, 2007, 04:34:08 PM

I personally like .82uf caps there.

Well, that's some good middle ground.

mac

EA trem: I prefer 1uf greencaps instead of electros. I did not try tantalums, but I guess they may work good in there since they are isloated from the signal path. Actually I'm working on a better oscillator. Stay tuned.

The EA trem seems simple but pick a wrong fet... I do not recommend it for a beginner.

I'd start with a Bass Fuzz. Maybe a Dist+ or Rat later.

mac
mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt-get install ECC83 EL84

"best" is a very personal thing but:

+1 on the EH LPB-1 nice clean boost, one of the handiest pedals I've built.
EA tremelo another one I use all the time.
Red LLama, easy and sounds great.

soulsonic

The only fuzz you will ever need. It can get everything from crunch to square-wave synth fatness, and anything you can think of in-between:
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a158/malexc/Shizzle-distributioncopy.gif
Check out my NEW DIY site - http://solgrind.wordpress.com