News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Cornish G2

Started by msurdin, July 29, 2007, 03:45:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

msurdin

hey all.

I was wondering about this Pete Cornish unit. I was reading its a Germanium/ Sillicon fuzz unit. Buffered.

From my experience classic fuzz units dont work well with effects and buffers before them..

Does anyone know how to create a unit like the G2 that would not be that noisy, react well to stuff before it. I was thinking maybe it could be built on the GGG Fuzz Face board?

I am used to the old bc108c and bc109c fuzz face units. It seems the cornish unit is also smoother? But still has that gritty classic fuzz.

Thanks

MAtt

Bernardduur

I wish we knew :)

My best guess? Distortion + with germanium diodes run on 18V with input buffer
Am learning something new every day here

SquareLight | MySpace account

JimRayden

Bernardduur

Am learning something new every day here

SquareLight | MySpace account

msurdin

I was looking at the layout of the distortion plus and was wondering if i could add some sillicone parts also.
I was thinking though... I have a distortion + on my board already and I dont want 2 things that sound close...

I really want to make something that at least would react well with effects before it...

manson

Looking at red-gooped pictures of the G2 and P2 boards, they are very similar. I think the G2 is a modded P2, which again is supposed to be a modded big muff. In the pics it looks like there are five transistors in sockets there. Also a lot of electrolytic caps. Maybe it's a big muff / germ. fuzz mixture with high quality buffers. The 3 controls indicate standard BM vol, gain and tone. Probably a modded tonestack too.

I would try replacing one big muff gain stage (Q3 and it's diodes?) with some germanium fuzz like circuit. One that's not so picky about impedance like the fuzz face. And maybe a jfet buffer like at GGG for Q1. Good lucK!

soulsonic

I built a fuzz recently that's loosely based on a Vox V8161. The main difference is that I used a high impedance JFET input buffer. I then designed the rest of the circuit to sound its best with this buffer in place, so it sounds consistent no matter what you plug into it. The buffer results in it not being quite as dramatically interactive with things like the guitar's volume control, but this is a small trade-off when compared with the greater flexibility it has to sound consistent in any system. It still has a good feel to it, so I consider it a success.
So here's what I'd suggest: start with a simple silicon Fuzz Face type circuit, add a JFET buffer to the input, then just tweak it to sound best with that JFET buffer as a part of the circuit. I'm a firm believer that if the circuit is designed to have a buffer in it from the beginning, then it can be made to sound it's best with the buffer no problem.
Check out my NEW DIY site - http://solgrind.wordpress.com