Solasound Jumbo Tonebender Vero Layout

Started by lowstar, July 30, 2007, 09:23:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowstar

hi everybody,

i made a vero layout for the jumbo tonebender.
some might think it´s not interesting because it is just a big muff with just one diode clipping stage, but it supposedly sounds very good on bass, and mike rutherford is said to have used it for the live performances of "the lamb".

as of yet UNVERIFIED.

cheers,
lowstar

effects built counter: stopped counting at 100

SonicVI

I've modded the tonepad Big Muff and a USA Big Muff to the Jumbo Tone Bender and they do sound awesome on bass, still very Big Muffish but a little rougher and with lots more lows. I don't like it as much on guitar as a Big Muff though. The extra lows make it sound like there's some clean signal blended in which I didn't like on guitar.

lowstar

layout is now VERIFIED.

i used bc550c since those are specified by my old databook as substitutes for the bc184c.

i have to do some extensive testing tomorrow in my rehearsal space, but what i can tell so far it really seems to go well with bass guitar, there´s a lot of low end.

cheers,
lowstar

SonicVI

Kornell

Thanks a lot for the layout lowstar!
I'm also a bass player and I was looking forward to this pedal.   :)

col

This was an early build for me after I tried the B&M version at a recording studio and enjoyed it. It was my main fuzz 'till I built a triangle muff/foxy lady and that has been my main pedal since.  I think the triangle muff just has the edge over it but I've not tried the Jumbo on bass. Maybe next week.
Both the pedals I built have BC184c that I got from oldradioparts here in the UK. I can't remember the full web address but I have posted it on here before.
Col

beedoola

Is the layout gone? I was here a few weeks ago checking it out and I came back here to use it for a build and the layout is gone....Or is there something wrong with my browser and I can't see the Layout???

lowstar

the pic got lost in some changes of the gallery system over at musikding.
i uploaded it again.
cheers,
lowstar

Mark Hammer

The schematic I saw some time back WAS essentially a BMP minus the diodes in the 2nd gain stage (or rather, the BMP is a Jumbo with diodes in the 2nd gain stage).  If so, then why would you need a different layout for it?  Why not just use the BMP layout/PCB and simply omit the first pair of diodes?  Is the one I'm thinking of (a 4 transistor unit) different than the one being discussed here?

Mick Bailey

SonicVI

The B&M has three transistors so it likely is the same as the Jumbo Tone Bender.

beedoola

I built this layout with no luck....I'm very sure I did every thing as shown. Has anyone else built this???

lowstar

yes, i have built this layout, as i stated above and also answered your question already some time ago if i´m not mistaken.

cheers,
lowstar

beedoola

gkibler

The vero layout discussed in this post has the following two major value errors that will cause it not to work :

1)  R12 is indicated as 10K when on the schematic the correct value is 100K
2) R20 is also incorrect as 470R.  The correct value is 470K.

This is an awesome-sounding fuzz, IMHO better than any version Muff or even germanium classic Tone Benders, which it really doesn't have anything in common with, despite the name.

Hope this helps someone.  -Gary