Quick Qestion Regarding Tubescreamer TS808 Result

Started by studiostud, July 31, 2007, 02:53:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

studiostud

Hello,

My TS-808 finally works after a good while of troubleshooting so thanks for everyone that helped.  Quick question though.  The pedal works and sounds beautiful, but it seems to me that the level pot isn't putting out as much volume as maybe it should.  I know with many of my pedals, I have to work with the level pot a little to get it to the point where it is the same volume when it's on and when it's bypassed.  With the tube screamer, I have to turn it all the way up for it to be the same level as the bypassed state.  I don't mind doing that, it just concerns me a little that I always have the level on full all the time.  I don't want to burn out components quicker than normal.  Is this bahavior normal?  If not, what can I look at to change?  Thanks in advance for any input?
Builds Completed: Big Muff. Fuzz Face. Tube Screamer. Rat. Crash Sync. Harmonic Jerkulator. 6-band EQ. Rebote 2.5. Tremulus Lune. Small Stone. Small Clone. Microamp. LPB-2. Green Ringer. Red Ranger. Orange Squeezer. SansAmp. MXR Headphone Amp. Bass Fuzz.

snoof

it depends on where your gain pot is set.  on a TS, with the gain all the way down, the level will have to be up at max to get to unity.  I don't think that running it wide open will put any additional strain on the components.

studiostud

I looked into that and the gain pot doesn't seem to add much gain.  It really just adds crunch.  Also, I noticed that it seems to be draining the battery like it's always on.  I had it off while I was doing something else for about an hour and when I checked the battery voltage, it had already dropped almost a volt and it was dead by the next morning.  This I know can't be right.  I do know that I have the negative lead from the bettery on the sleeve of the input jack with the rest of the ground wires instead of putting it on the ring.  Is that my problem?

Builds Completed: Big Muff. Fuzz Face. Tube Screamer. Rat. Crash Sync. Harmonic Jerkulator. 6-band EQ. Rebote 2.5. Tremulus Lune. Small Stone. Small Clone. Microamp. LPB-2. Green Ringer. Red Ranger. Orange Squeezer. SansAmp. MXR Headphone Amp. Bass Fuzz.

Barcode80

that is your problem. in order to switch the battery off, it has to be grounded at ring instead of with everything else. the circuit will draw current as long as there is current attached, and when you solder the battery ground lead to the ring terminal, the connection to ground is broken when you remove the cable, and poof, no more drain until you plug back in.

studiostud