Switch to reverse order of pedals?

Started by BillyB, August 01, 2007, 02:35:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillyB

Im looking for a way to change the order of two pedals.  I am going to do a 2-in-1 pedal with only 1 input and 1 output so I want a way to change from 1->2 to 2->1.

Any idea how.  I am sure its simple and all, just cant think at the moment...  :icon_confused:

BillyB

Something wierd is going on.  I posted this 10 minutes ago and in that time the post count went over 300!  :icon_eek:

What happened...  ???

slacker

slacker

madness it's up to over 500 views now  ???

Mark Hammer

Here's a question.  Has anyone here ever found a need to have order-switching foot-switchable?  That is, something that you absolutely could not live with having selectable via a toggle or slide switch?

BillyB

Thanks Slacker, yea I just saw that thread a few posts down with the Juggler suggestion so I have been checking that out.

I cant believe how the view counts did that though haha.  Maybe by tomarrow this will be the most viewed thread in history via an internet glitch  :icon_lol:

BillyB

Quote from: Mark Hammer on August 01, 2007, 02:52:57 PM
Here's a question.  Has anyone here ever found a need to have order-switching foot-switchable?  That is, something that you absolutely could not live with having selectable via a toggle or slide switch?

I would actually prefer a toggle switch to save room.  Any idea of how to do it with just a toggle switch?

slacker

to do it with a toggle just get a 3PDT toggle switch or 4PDT toggle switch if you want a LED and wire it up like in R.G's diagram.

I can't think of any combinations that you're likely to want to switch on the fly mid song, but come to that I can't think of any combinations that I'd want to switch often enough to warrant any sort of switch.
I suppose booster >> distortion switchable to distortion >> booster in some sort of dual pedal would be about the only thing I'd use. I do like playing about with the order of modulation and delay pedals but not live.

Mark Hammer

One of the reasons why I asked was because stompswitches provide no visual indication of status on their own, so you need an extra set of contacts for LED-switching.  In contrast, a slide or toggle can show you its setting, meaning you can get away with a simpler, easier-to-find, cheaper switch.  Plus, it takes up less panel space.

BillyB

Yea I decided if I do it, I would just do the 3PDT without the LEDs.  See heres why I want it:

Someone asked me for a pedal with a treble boost and a overdrive/other type of boost in one.  Now, I have both build seperate for myself so I was trying to see what order I should build it for him.  Now when I had the treble boost second and had both engaged going through my amp's clean channel, the tone was a nice bluesy overdrive which sounded great.  Then when I had both engaged in the overdrive channel, it was just too much and it was all feedback and hiss.  Then when I put the treble booster first through the clean channel, it didnt really give overdrive, just a big boost with both engaged.  Then with both engaged through the overdrive channel, the gain was great with no feedback or hiss.

So it was a hard decision on if he wanted to be able to have a nice bluesy overdrive through a clean amp but only the abilty to use one of the pedals through the overdirve channel, or to have a nice boost (with both engaged) on the clean channel with very nice overdrive gain on the overdrive channel.  Thats why I came to thinking, why not use an order swicher?

Mark, do you by any chance know where to get a toggle 3PDT?  Maybe you have one I could buy?

Thanks,
Billy

CGDARK

Mark Hammer

That would be it.

Also note that rotary switches will also work nicely, although obviously they take up more space.  On the other hand, I'm thinking that in some instances a rotary might be able to do double duty.  For instance, imagine that a single rotary switch could select A->B, B->A, A alone, B alone.  Your single stompswitch would then serve as a master bypass for the whole box and both effects.  So, while a rotary switch and knob would take up more room than a toggle, it might not take up as much "strategic panel space" as a toggle for order select, a second stompswitch, and an additional status LED (this assumes that you'd have two on-ff stomps, one per effect, plus their individual status LEDs).  On the other hand, I can see where some folks would want to be able to have A plus B cancellation individually available to them via footswitches.  Naturally it would depend on the nature of the effects, and the nature of the musical style.

BillyB

Alright thanks guys.  And thanks CG for that link.  I got 2 of em.  Im going to try it out!

bent

Long live the music.....

BillyB

Quote from: bent on August 01, 2007, 05:28:03 PM
use a 4PDT footswitch ?
like this http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=670

bent

Na, I prefer the 3PDT toggle because like Mark said, you can see what possition its on without an LED, and its smaller.  Plus, with the 4PDT, theres no solder lugs (At least they arent visable in that picture) so I would need to put it on a board to solder wires to it.

BillyB

Heres a little wiring diagram I put together for this.  Anyone care to just do a quick check to make sure its all good?

Thanks
Billy

slacker

BillyB

Good.  Just making sure.  Its dinner time and im hungry so mistakes are possible when im hungry  ;D

tranceracer

I've been a lurker on this forum (which is really great) for a while.  The only box I've built is a switcher.  I use it to switch my "A" loop (wah, phaser pedals) pre and post with "B" loop (distortion pedals).  I play everything from rock to metal to clean and reggeish rhythms.

rock and metal routing: is "A" Loop (phasor/wah) > "B" Loop (distortions) > amp
reggeish or prominent wah tones: "B" Loop (distortion) > "A" Loop (phasor/wah) > amp

My little pedal also includes tru-bypass for the A and B loops.

I personally can't live without this little router pedal.  I find myself using the tru-bypass switches the most.

The switcher box I built it uses two 4049 ICs, one 4049 can controll two relays.  1 4PDT (used only 3PDT) Relay and 2 DPDT relays. 
The 4049 can easily drive a low voltage LED eliminating the need for a 4PDT switch.

I basicly used the 4049 ckt on geofex to controll a 2N2222 transistor and relay rather than a 4053
http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/cd4053/cd4053.htm

I later revised my ckt because i found that the 4049 ckt can drive my relays without the 2N2222 Transistor.

I didn't wany the *Clank-clank* of regular foot switches so modified switch actuators purchased from smallbear and installed small (normally open) tactile switches inside the actuators to use as soft stomp switches to activate the 4049 on-off.

I decided to use relays (though they consume more power) because if there was a problem with the box atleast I can still have my effects work but wont have use of the switcher and tru bypass.  If anyones interested I can post pics and a basic schematic.

-tR

Mark Hammer

That's MY kinda lurker! :icon_biggrin:

Nice thinking, and nice work.

And in case I haven't gone on ad nauseum enough about it, newbies will note the following:
Quote from: tranceracer on August 02, 2007, 01:49:38 AM
I personally can't live without this little router pedal.

One more vote for a loop selector as one of those projects that, unglamorous as it may seem, will hold up as a worthwhile expenditure of your effort and money for a long, long time.