JFET buffer causes scritchy guitar vol pot and buzz?

Started by STOMPmole, August 07, 2007, 04:21:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

STOMPmole

So...in the spirit of "no good deed goes unrewarded" I built a true bypass switchbox with a discrete JFET buffer for a buddy of mine that was complaining about his pedals and long cable runs sucking tone.

Now he's complaining that the box I built is making his guitar pots scritchy and increasing the buzz (on his single coil guitar). 

I'm going to check out his rig for myself and draw my own conclusions, but before I try it out is there anything that anyone can think of that I should check out that might be causing the problem?

My first impression is that the buffer/truebypass has removed the treble loss he's been experiencing with his long cables and non-true bypass effects thus exposing the "fine nuances" of his tone that he'd been missing (noisy pots and buzzy pickups).  Is there any way a JFET buffer can cause your pots to be noisy?  Could the circuit be needing a blocking cap somewhere or something? 

Any help is appreciated.

R.G.

Scratchy pots fairly screams "DC across the pot!!"

Something about your setup is putting DC back into the guitar. Get out your DMM.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

johngreene

Quote from: R.G. on August 07, 2007, 09:30:05 AM
Scratchy pots fairly screams "DC across the pot!!"

Something about your setup is putting DC back into the guitar. Get out your DMM.

Or dirty pots. If your buffer was designed with gain, then things like buzz, scratchy pots, etc. are all going to be amplified.

--john

edit-spelling errors.
I started out with nothing... I still have most of it.

STOMPmole

Thanks for the info.  That's what I was thinking (the same as both of you)...there's either some DC there or my buddy can't stand to hear his rig amplified and without treble rolloff. :icon_biggrin: