Switch POP with both ON or OFF switching

Started by RonaldB, August 09, 2007, 09:59:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RonaldB

I have a really strange and loud pop when switching my new made booster on or off.
I allready disconnected the LED and it's still there. I also put 1M res at the in and output.
Still no change.  ???

I read most of the topics here but could get anything to work.
What's the solution here?

Is it a ground problem? I have a DC jack an Battery inside, and the battery ground is on the switch on the input.

Can anyone please help me.

Thanks Ronald

stephanovitch

Try to put a resistor between in and ground on your DPDT. Same thing for the out.
Begin with 1M then 470K.
It' difficult to say whithout the schematics.

mountainking

The first thing I would do would be to check for cold solder joints. I build something the other day, I tested it and no pops, then I added a dc jack and it popped. I noticed that two of the solder joints on the jack weren't shiney, so I reheated them and the pop went away. Check all your solder joints.

brunocbicalho

Let the 1M resistor always to be connected on the ground, solder it on the pcb, then if it´s already in that way, try to do the same with a 100k resistor on the out side...

IF nothing changes, try to disconnect the led and see what happens

RonaldB

Thanks for the help, but none of these tips work.

This what i tried today:
- I changed my 3DTPT switch for an other one. I thought because i get the pop with on and off switching that it was the switch. But no. :(
- Than i made an new booster circut, by the way it's an mosfet booster. This didn't help also.
- removed the battery and only wired it on the DC jack. And the pop was still there.

But this is what I discovered. As soon as i plug in the power (DC) i here the pop to whether the pedal is on or off.
So I'm guessing that this is a power problem, but i don't really now how to solve this. I had this also with the battery
when i plugged in my jack plug in the input.

Thanks for reading and i hope that there is a solution.

the_random_hero

Are you using a power filtering cap or a cap before the output to block DC?
Completed Projects - Modded DS1, The Stiffy, Toaster Ruby, Octobooster Mk. II, Pedal Power Supply

RonaldB

yes i have power filtering on the dc.

Ihave a 100ohm res to a 100uF (+) to board and (-) to ground. The LED's are powered before that with no filtering. I use a blue LED (ultra bright) with a 15K res.

oskar

Could you please link to/or post the schematic. 

RonaldB

oskar

Quote from: RonaldB on August 10, 2007, 10:19:08 AM
How do you post an image.  ???

you go to...
http://photobucket.com/
and register!

:)

If you want you can mail me the pic and I'll post it for you.

oskar

As provided by RonaldB

oskar

The pic doesn't say much though.

Q - You aren't actually switching it on and off?
That would shurely make it go pop!

RonaldB

Thanks for posting it,
sorry i'm new to this forum thing.

I wirred the hole thing on a 3DTPT switch the true bypass way.

X|X|X
X|X|X
X|X|-

the in and out on the top in and out of the jacks in the middle. On the bottom the two lugs are connected together.
The right row is for the led.

Hope i gives a idea how i wirred this.

the_random_hero

Where'd you manage to pick up that schematic from?  :icon_cool:
I actually built the same thing and had some problems with switching noise, I just put it down to a dodgy switch though. I'm still waiting on my new 3PDT's to come in so I can have another crack.
On a side note, try putting a J201 in place of the BS170, it does sound rather awesome.
Completed Projects - Modded DS1, The Stiffy, Toaster Ruby, Octobooster Mk. II, Pedal Power Supply

RonaldB

found it on the net.
I will try the j201.
But that's still leaving me with the pop noise. ???