Switching between two effects

Started by moro, August 10, 2007, 01:03:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moro

If I want to put two effects in the same enclosure, is this the correct wiring? (I'd have a 3PDT for effect on / bypass.)

I think I need the 4PDT if I want the indicator LEDs and to short the unused effect to ground...?

Thanks.

Processaurus

Unless the input impedance is really low on one of the circuits (fuzz face or similar, rangemaster, wah wah, etc.) you can easily feed the input of both effects at the same time, and then use a DPDT to switch outputs and LEDs.  Or buffer and feed the two from the buffer output.

moro

Quote from: Processaurus on August 10, 2007, 01:25:19 AM
Unless the input impedance is really low on one of the circuits (fuzz face or similar, rangemaster, wah wah, etc.) you can easily feed the input of both effects at the same time, and then use a DPDT to switch outputs and LEDs.  Or buffer and feed the two from the buffer output.

Won't I get bleed through of the "off" effect if I do it that way though? I'd feel safer shorting the unused input to ground.

GibsonGM

No, if you switch the output you won't get bleed thru.  The worst that could happen would be some 'tone suck', if the impedance of the 'off' one is too low.  Unless one is a FF or wah, you shouldn't hear any audible problems. 
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

moro

Ok, thanks. But if I had a 4pdt lying around, would my wiring be correct?

Pushtone

Quote from: GibsonGM on August 10, 2007, 06:15:48 PM
No, if you switch the output you won't get bleed thru.  The worst that could happen would be some 'tone suck', if the impedance of the 'off' one is too low.  Unless one is a FF or wah, you shouldn't hear any audible problems. 

I get bleed that way.

I put a DF Sparkle Boost and a Dist + in one box with both circuits fed directly from the input jack.
The circuit outputs go to 1/2 of a DPDT switch so the other pole can be used for two LEDs.

I can hear the Dist+ in the background when the SB is active.

I've been meaning to replace the switch with a 3PDT to solve the problem but I haven't thought about how I would wire it to short the un-used circuit.

Dave
It's time to buy a gun. That's what I've been thinking.
Maybe I can afford one, if I do a little less drinking. - Fred Eaglesmith

Pushtone

Quote from: moro on August 10, 2007, 01:03:53 AM
If I want to put two effects in the same enclosure, is this the correct wiring? (I'd have a 3PDT for effect on / bypass.)

I think I need the 4PDT if I want the indicator LEDs and to short the unused effect to ground...?

Thanks.

That looks good to me.

What about using a 3PDT switch and taking the circuit outputs directly to the output jack?

I think I'll use it to fix my pedal. So thanks for the idea!  :icon_smile:

moro

Quote from: Pushtone on August 10, 2007, 06:48:43 PM
What about using a 3PDT switch and taking the circuit outputs directly to the output jack?

You mean have both the outputs connected all the time?

moro

Thanks. I thought about doing it that way initially, but for this particular pedal (Ross + Orange Squeezer), I felt like it'd be more usable to have a toggle between the two effects, then a master on / bypass.

Though I could be convinced. Would I ever want two compressors on at the same time?

Pushtone

Quote from: moro on August 10, 2007, 10:00:54 PM
Quote from: Pushtone on August 10, 2007, 06:48:43 PM

You mean have both the outputs connected all the time?

Yes. Both outputs from the circuit boards connected to the output jack.
Inputs are switched with the un-used circuit's input shorted to ground.
How about that?

Sure it can be done with two footswitches but the point of this thread, I thought, was to do it with one footswitch.
Something I tend to do myself but not without bleed. I really must get back to my two circuit/one switch pedal and figure this out.