Source for 12VAC AC adaptor?

Started by joelap, August 10, 2007, 09:10:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joelap

Hey guys, tube driver project as I'm sure you can probably tell.  I bought a fully populated and working board, just need an adaptor that puts out 12Volts AC and fits into the boss-style plug smallbear sells.  Unfortunately, I'm buying the populated board from Italy, so his power adaptor won't even work here stateside.  I've only found one potential adaptor, though I cant even be sure its putting out AC and not DC, nor does it say the size of the diameter of the plug, and nor does it say the current rating.  I'm not good at parts sourcing... anyone know where to get one?  I guess the plug not fitting isn't as big deal because I can get a replacement plug from smallbear... but I can't find something that will put out 12V AC, only finding 12V DC adaptors.  And I'd rather not have to connect to the mains from the pedal for safety's sake.

Anyone can help me out?  Much appreciated.

Joe
- witty sig -

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

AC adaptors are drying up, but they still have 12v AC at www.jameco.com
I believe jameco are the best for AC output adaptors in the USA. I've bought quite a few AC out adaptors from them.

John Lyons

Joe

Decent thrift stores have tons of AC adaptors. Most phones run on 12v supplies. Whenever I go I find a few, 12v, 24v, etc etc.
There is also a Guy selling 12v transformers on the for sale page right now for $4. Make your own supply with two diodes and a 1000uf cap...

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

joelap

Thanks for all the help guys!  I ended up snagging one off of Jameco... I know I can easily use a transformer, but the reality is about 8 months or so ago I ignorantly ended up sending the wall voltage through my body.  Its not an experience I want to repeat, so I'd rather take the safe route with an external adaptor.
- witty sig -

aron

Radio Shack has them as well. Expensive though....