Switching 230 VAC with a footswitch

Started by bassmeister, August 14, 2007, 04:43:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bassmeister

Perhaps this is more of a the Lounge topic, I'm not sure. Anyway;

I'm planning to have a replica of an old "police light that rotates" (sorry, I don't now the word in english) on stage, and I'd like to be able to switch the voltage for it it on and off with a foot pedal. Is there someone who knows or can estimate the voltage and current rating for the taiwanese 3PDT switches that Banzai (top of the page) and others sell? Is it safe to switch 230 VAC with those? I'm guessing not... No, it's not necessary with a 3PDT, but at the time I have quite lots of them.

Thank you for any input.

MadMac

Quote from: bassmeister on August 14, 2007, 04:43:03 PM
Perhaps this is more of a the Lounge topic, I'm not sure. Anyway;

I'm planning to have a replica of an old "police light that rotates" (sorry, I don't now the word in english) on stage, and I'd like to be able to switch the voltage for it it on and off with a foot pedal. Is there someone who knows or can estimate the voltage and current rating for the taiwanese 3PDT switches that Banzai (top of the page) and others sell? Is it safe to switch 230 VAC with those? I'm guessing not... No, it's not necessary with a 3PDT, but at the time I have quite lots of them.

Thank you for any input.

I think that you are asking for trouble if you try and switch 240V with one of those switches.  Switches designed to switch mains voltage are usually insulated and don't have metal parts exposed to the outside.  Anything with mains voltage should only be done by a licensed professional.  Seriously if you make a mistake with the wiring or don't use the correct components yo could KILL yourself!

If you want to do this use a low voltage light - like those blue lights used for alarm systems.  That way you don't have to worry about accidentally killing someone on stage.

plankspank

QuoteIs it safe to switch 230 VAC with those? I'm guessing not... No, it's not necessary with a 3PDT, but at the time I have quite lots of them.
Not a good idea safety wise. Why not use a relay- you can use a foot switch to run a safe D.C. voltage (5-24 VDC) to the coils to energize the 230 VAC to run the "police light" .

MadMac

Quote from: plankspank on August 14, 2007, 05:34:58 PM
QuoteIs it safe to switch 230 VAC with those? I'm guessing not... No, it's not necessary with a 3PDT, but at the time I have quite lots of them.
Not a good idea safety wise. Why not use a relay- you can use a foot switch to run a safe D.C. voltage (5-24 VDC) to the coils to energize the 230 VAC to run the "police light" .

If you use a low voltage light you don't have to mess with  the 230V at all.  Sorry if I am coming across as harsh but I think people tend to take mains voltage for granted at times and forget that its not the same as wiring a 9VDC stomp box.

MetalGod

my bass player has the exact same thing as you describe - I gave him one of those DPDTs that Maplin sell rated for 240vac and it's worked for at least five years now.

8)

MadMac

Quote from: MetalGod on August 14, 2007, 05:58:21 PM
my bass player has the exact same thing as you describe - I gave him one of those DPDTs that Maplin sell rated for 240vac and it's worked for at least five years now.

8)

I don't think its a matter of if it will work or not. 

At the very least if you must use 240V (not recommended) please consider using a portable Residual Current Device (RCD) otherwise known as a Safety Switch or Earth leakage circuit breaker.  This will significantly reduce the risk if something does goes wrong. 

You can't be guaranteed that every gig you play at has an RCD at the switchboard or even one that is working.

I think it would be cool to hear those bass riffs at 50/60 cycles per sec. ;D

Processaurus

I think those blue 3pdt switches were designed specifically for pedals, ie small signal voltages.  I wouldn't trust it unless the manufacturer clearly specifies it is rated for line voltage.  The carlings though, are made for line voltage, not pedals.  They use them for industrial vacuum machines for example, to turn them on.  No problem.  Just be safe and heat shrink all the AC connections and connect your third prong (safety ground) to the chassis.  Wait on the project if you aren't comfortable with lethal voltages.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

I agree with Ben there, the whole problem with most stomp switches, is that they are designed for mains use, not small signal audio!

But if you want a police flasher.. aren't those running off car battery voltage?

bassmeister

Quote from: Processaurus on August 14, 2007, 09:08:18 PM
I think those blue 3pdt switches were designed specifically for pedals, ie small signal voltages.  I wouldn't trust it unless the manufacturer clearly specifies it is rated for line voltage.  The carlings though, are made for line voltage, not pedals.  They use them for industrial vacuum machines for example, to turn them on.  No problem.  Just be safe and heat shrink all the AC connections and connect your third prong (safety ground) to the chassis.  Wait on the project if you aren't comfortable with lethal voltages.
Very good point. If the manufacturer hasn't stated anything about the rating, it's of course best not to take a chance. The 3PDTs also have quite tiny terminals compared to the Carlings, perhaps also simpler contact tongues inside. So, even if the 3PDT can handle a lot more than a guitar signal (an inherent capacity considering it's mechanically sturdy enough to stand on), why would a manufacturer make switches sturdy enough to handle line voltage and not say so? That's a quality sign.

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave) on August 14, 2007, 09:17:18 PM
But if you want a police flasher.. aren't those running off car battery voltage?
The one I have runs on 230, but I guess there are different versions around. This one is also the old school type with a rotating reflector around a small incandescent bulb. I think that looks better on stage than a strobe type flasher...

Thanks for all other input. I promise to stay safe... I've actually had some 230 V shocks over the years. I wouldn't recommend it...  :icon_wink: Seriously, it can't be stressed enough how important safety and experience is when working with line voltage.