Here's what I wanna do (tube instead of op-amp)

Started by Nathan, September 17, 2003, 09:51:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nathan

IF this is possible, I think it could improve an already great pedal. Here goes:

I have a Real Tube 901 using a 12AU7 tube. It's not a bad pedal, but the tone controls are pretty useless.

I recently got a Barber Direct Drive Super Sport (DDSS). It's vey nice, and I changed the resistor on the Drive pot for less gain. The tone shaping options are excellent. It's just a tad grainy in the gain/breakup, and I wish it sounded like the Real Tube.

I don't know too much about electronics, but I figure the clipping happens in the op-amp of the DDSS. If so, there must be a way of making an op-amp using a tube to create the clipping.

Am I way off here? I know it wouldn't fit in the current enclosure, but I want to try and mix the two pedals.Can anyone inform me here? Thanks!!

Ansil

I have a Real Tube 901 using a 12AU7 tube. It's not a bad pedal, but the tone controls are pretty useless.

I recently got a Barber Direct Drive Super Sport (DDSS). It's vey nice, and I changed the resistor on the Drive pot for less gain. The tone shaping options are excellent. It's just a tad grainy in the gain/breakup, and I wish it sounded like the Real Tube.

I don't know too much about electronics, but I figure the clipping happens in the op-amp of the DDSS. If so, there must be a way of making an op-amp using a tube to create the clipping.

Am I way off here? I know it wouldn't fit in the current enclosure, but I want to try and mix the two pedals.Can anyone inform me here? Thanks!!

personally i would take the first opamp stage and drop the gain to about nothing, maybee 10 or so,  usually it is a dual opamp and the second one is the one that drives the tone controls, but the easy way of doing this is as follows,  bascially remove the tone controls from the real tube,  wich should leave you a capacitor before the output jack, take the signal fromt he capacitor and feed it to the tone control section of the barber, i don't know since i havent seen the scheme for the barber but i do remember hearing that is a dual opamp with the second oen driving the eq section. so if it is this you can dump the signal from the real tube into the second opamp stage or  you can go straight into the eq and to the output of the barber to your amp.

Nathan

Thanks for the reply, Ansil. Is there a question voltages matching up or anything? I also don't have much knowledge about op-amps, I only know there's 6 terminals. Should this be relatively simple to figure out, or am I in for some schematic tracing?

Nathan

Come on -anybody got more info for me?!?!  :(  BTW it's 8 pins not 6.