MFOS "Sub-Commander" Guitar Synth

Started by mistercooper, August 17, 2007, 06:37:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mistercooper

http://musicfromouterspace.com/analogsynth/GUITARSYNTHAUG2007/GUITARSYNTHAUG2007.html

Anyone gonna build one?

Features

Generates sub-octave and pulse waveforms
Generates gate and trigger signals
VCF controlled by dedicated AD generator and LFO
VCA controlled by dedicated AD generator and LFO
Mix clean sound with filtered/modulated sound.
Auto-Wah, Warbling Wah, Tremolo, Pseudo-Ring Mod
Gives your guitar a bag of new tricks
Advanced project for advanced electronics hobbyists

Bassmanfox

WOW, I haven't seen that one on there yet.  I think that seems like a fun next build.  I have a few to finish before that, but hopefully in the coming months, keep us updated on your progress if you decide to tackle this build.

aloupos

Awesome project!!  Not looking forward to etching a 2 sided PCB of that size though!  The wah, wow and synth sounds are amazing!

stobiepole

Buy the PCB - I've got a Soundlab PCB I bought from him, and it's a very good quality board. I have to finish wiring it all up...I originally bought the Soundlab for much the same purpose as the Sub-Commander - there's a guitar trigger interface you can use. But I think I'm going to build one of these as well...

Ever since I heard the first couple of Roxy Music albums, with Eno processing the guitar and sax through a primitive synth, I've wanted something similar for myself.

Chris

Jaicen_solo

I've gotta say, that is awesome! And ripe for modding too if you ask me. I'd stick the interval section of the Rocktave in there for sure! And i'd add an octave up too, then it would be sweet as, and a real Microsynth killer. Finally a great, easily DIY'able guitar synth project (see, prayers are sometimes answered!).

StephenGiles

This is not the "tracking oscillator" type of guitar synth, but looks very interesting indeed.
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Jaicen_solo

That's exactly why it's cool, like the Microsynth it should respond much better to picking dynamics and dare I say, sloppy technique ;)
When I get round to it, this is definitely going to be on the list of things to build. I'd like to think i'll eventually build a Synthax and EPFM Pitch to voltage converter, but i'm not sure i'll ever get the balls to do it!

Rodgre

Quote from: Jaicen_solo on August 19, 2007, 05:06:58 PM
I'd like to think i'll eventually build a Synthax and EPFM Pitch to voltage converter

Excuse me? EPFM P-V converter? Did I miss something?

Roger

snufkin

what?

QuoteExcuse me? EPFM P-V converter? Did I miss something?

is that the penfold unit as i am making one right now or is it a better alternative
easyface,phase 90,many fuzz faces,feedback looper,tremulus lune and so on soon to be ADA!

Mark Hammer

It's the one that Harry Bissell designed for Tom's site.  Since Harry is a guitar player, I suspect it is optimized for guitar characteristics, and certainly if it matches the calibre of his envelope follower, it should be good.  I have the schem if anybody needs it.

Rodgre

Quote from: Rodgre on August 19, 2007, 08:17:27 PM
I'd like to think i'll eventually build a Synthax and EPFM Pitch to voltage converter

Just making sure there wasn't a page missing in my Anderton book. :)

Roger

GREEN FUZ

Quote from: Mark Hammer on August 20, 2007, 10:32:23 AMI have the schem if anybody needs it.

I wouldn`t mind having a look at that Mark.

snufkin

neather would i

is it possible to buy the full docks of the Pitch to voltage converter and env follower

i think i have only found the site where they are mentioned once and it wasnt that clear  ???

is it http://www.wiseguysynth.com/

sorry to thread hijack
easyface,phase 90,many fuzz faces,feedback looper,tremulus lune and so on soon to be ADA!

Jaicen_solo

As usual, I was possibly hasty about typing the EPFM bit, it may well be from a different source. I do know I got it from Mr Hammer's site, as with most of the cool old schems I have ;)

Mark Hammer

Quote from: Rodgre on August 19, 2007, 08:17:27 PM

Roger
Oops! :icon_redface: :icon_redface:  I read the original query too fast.  I thought you were referring to EFM, Tom Gamble's Electronics for Music site ( http://www.ele4music.com/efm/ ), not Anderton's EPFM.  EFM was where Harry's R-2-V unit was, though it appears not to be there currently.

Anderton did not have a P-2-V unit at any time that I know of, although there WAS the AMS-100 module in DEVICE that was intended to be the "front end" of a guitar processor.  The only guitar P-2-V projects I am aware of are Harry's and the two Penfold projects appearing in Practical Electronics (Guitar tracker and Mono synth interface).  Alternatively, you can adapt Penfold's "Light Metal" project: http://www.experimentalistsanonymous.com/diy/Schematics/Ring%20Modulators%20and%20Frequency%20Shifters/Light%20Metal%20Effects%20Penfold%20Ring%20Mod.pdf  This includes a tracking VCO that can be used as the signal to be processed by filters, etc.

Jaicen_solo

Yep that was what I was referring to. As far as i'm aware, the AMS designs were never finalised, only the first few modules were printed. The one I planned to build was a standalone unit that provided CV and GATE out's, and had three knobs for adjustment on the front. I've held off on building it because I'm still not sure about it's tracking accuracy.  I've also just got a GR-300 so, you know.... ;)

Rodgre

Quote from: Jaicen_solo on August 21, 2007, 02:18:04 PM
I've also just got a GR-300 so, you know.... ;)

Good for you! Which controller are you using? I've been having a little nostalgic rennaissance with mine lately. I hadn't played it in years and now I've really gotten back into it.

Roger

Jaicen_solo

Actually, I don't have a controller for it, or even the 24-pin cable! In actual fact, I haven't recieved it yet..
I've been scouring www.joness.com for info and schematics on the G808/303 controller. I'm planning to build a 13-pin GK converter to use my modern guitar and my GR-20 at the same time, and eventually I'll build the G808 electrics into my next custom guitar. At the minute, i'm still not sure wether i'll be able to custom build a suitable socket for the 24-pin connector, or I may just replace the custom connector with a DB24. I'm not fond of mods to vintage gear, but needs must!

Steve Newton

Quote from: Jaicen_solo on August 21, 2007, 05:02:27 PM
Actually, I don't have a controller for it, or even the 24-pin cable! In actual fact, I haven't recieved it yet..
I've been scouring www.joness.com for info and schematics on the G808/303 controller. I'm planning to build a 13-pin GK converter to use my modern guitar and my GR-20 at the same time, and eventually I'll build the G808 electrics into my next custom guitar. At the minute, i'm still not sure wether i'll be able to custom build a suitable socket for the 24-pin connector, or I may just replace the custom connector with a DB24. I'm not fond of mods to vintage gear, but needs must!

Some info here - http://www.joness.com/gr300/GR-300.htm

Schems - http://www.joness.com/gr300/Schematic_1.htm
Steve.
Not my circus, not my monkey.

bent

do you think it can be mod for bass ?

bent
Long live the music.....