SATURN FIVE FUZZ

Started by Dragonfly, August 21, 2007, 06:56:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dragonfly

EZ build 60's style fuzz that can get fairly smooth at one extreme and lots of "splat" at the other.

Sound sample starts with "Splat" at minimum, then 1/2 on, then "full Splat"....after that, solo tones...then guitars volume rolled back so you can see how it cleans up....then full smooth fuzz.

This will probably work fine with most silicon NPNs, though I built it with BC108's...

any extra noise is because its on the breadboard, next to a computer, and in front of the TV :D

Enjoy...and let me know what you think if you build it !

AC

SOUND SAMPLE

nightingale

Give me a couple of days or so,
I'll have one boxed up!
ry

I get some pretty good mileage out of my  sanchez, and montezuma boxes btw.
be well,
ryanS
www.moccasinmusic.com

Dragonfly

Quote from: nightingale on August 21, 2007, 07:06:22 PM
Give me a couple of days or so,
I'll have one boxed up!
ry

I get some pretty good mileage out of my  sanchez, and montezuma boxes btw.

cool...

glad youre liking the monte and the sanchez :)

you might consider using a 1k pot from Q1's emmiter as a "gain" control...i typically run fuzz full on though :)

let me know what you think :)

foxfire

god i love your little fuzz's! now i have something to do tomorrow instead of exorcising or paying attention to my fiancée.

Dragonfly

Quote from: foxfire on August 21, 2007, 07:56:53 PM
god i love your little fuzz's! now i have something to do tomorrow instead of exorcising or paying attention to my fiancée.

seriously...the fuzz will fight you a lot less than the fiance, so make sure you pay attention to her too :D

Dragonfly

BTW...this fuzz can be made very compact...you could breadboard it, get your favorite setting on the Splat control, measure that value and use a resistor instead of the Splat pot....

and.....

mount it in a guitar with a toggle on/off switch :D

(I know...I'm a sick, sick person...)

Fuzzy-Train

Sounds a lot like my Tyco Octavia with the octave switch off. But there's something that sounds different, can't really tell what it is.

Very cool man... can't wait to hear your next one.
THERE IS NO SIG.

The user formerly known as NoNothing.

Stuff I built!
http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w106/Cpt_sergeant/?start=allRandom

8mileshigh

Cool, this one sounds a lot like the Fuzzrite I built with high gain transistors.  There's quite a bit of compression going on here. BTW, you sure know how to name a pedal !

Chris
Builts completed: Tweak-O, Fuzz Face Si and Ge, Rangemaster,Fuzzrite Si & Ge, Bazz Fuzz, L'il Devil Fuzz, Bosstone one knober, Bosstone Sustainer, Cream Pie, Kay Fuzztone. http://www.myspace.com/chrisdarlington

Marcos - Munky

Cool!!! Another effect to build. And this comes at the right time, I was about to etch two PCBs (guess what, two of your designs :P), now I will include this one too. The bad part is that I don't have 500K pots right now, and my amp is in a friend's house, so I will be able to test it in the weekend only.

tcobretti

I really love two transistor fuzzes.  For some reason they are probly my favorite build.  I haven't been building anything lately, but this one looks very nice Andy!

Thanks!

Baktown

Dude!

That sound sample is AWESOME! Way to go, Gringo!

Axl Bundy

Dragonfly

Thanks guys...

I think everyone here KNOWS I love fuzz pedals, especially "old school" transistor based fuzzes. :)

I hope you guys decide to play around with this circuit...its pretty cool :)

Ucho

Another great little circuit Dragonfly!

The sample sounds really good, and the "SPLAT" control has really the right name!

I think I'm going to breadboard it with 2N5088/89...

I'd like to post a couple of noobs technical questions:
1) what's the purpose of the 1M/470k Collector-Base resistors? What do "they do"?
2) What's the reason (if any) behind the choice of 4k7 collector resistor in q1 vs 100k in q2?

Thanks for sharing all these "simple" circuits. I find them very good sounding AND very interesting form a learning point of view (because of their "simplicity"=low parts count)

Keep on rockin' Dragonfly!

petemoore

1) what's the purpose of the 1M/470k Collector-Base resistors? What do "they do"?
   Bias the base.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

foxfire

and i'm guessing that q1 is biased a bit hot so that you get that compressed saturated sound as turn up the splat, hence the different collector resistors?

Ucho

Quote from: petemoore on August 22, 2007, 09:41:10 AM
   Bias the base.

Mmmm... i see... It should have been more obvious to me  :-[ it's one of the various ways to bias a bjt...
Now I'm looking at biasing article on Wikipedia for some more infos.
Thanks pete, useful as always

Quote from: foxfire on August 22, 2007, 09:53:06 AM
and i'm guessing that q1 is biased a bit hot so that you get that compressed saturated sound as turn up the splat, hence the different collector resistors?

That was my guess too.

PS: Maybe I'm OT and I should not talk about that here?!?

oldrocker

Nice.  I like the sound samples.  Actually it sounds like an OD more than a fuzz at certain settings.  I'll have to give this a shot soon.  Thanks dragonfly.

foxfire

Quote from: Ucho on August 22, 2007, 11:04:15 AM
Quote from: petemoore on August 22, 2007, 09:41:10 AM
   Bias the base.

Mmmm... i see... It should have been more obvious to me  :-[ it's one of the various ways to bias a bjt...
Now I'm looking at biasing article on Wikipedia for some more infos.
Thanks pete, useful as always

Quote from: foxfire on August 22, 2007, 09:53:06 AM

That was my guess too.

PS: Maybe I'm OT and I should not talk about that here?!?

not talk about it? hell i would have to make real friends and actually talk like, "face to face" with real people if that were true! unless i'm missing something you're dead ON topic asking how and why questions.

Marcos - Munky

Yeah, it's on topic. It's a basic question, but applies to this circuit, and a lot more circuits.

MartyMart

Sounds great Andy - nice one ..... again !!  :icon_rolleyes:

:icon_wink:
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com