Hard drive power supply question

Started by O, August 21, 2007, 10:57:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

O

My office is throwing out 5 SCSi external CD-Rom/Hard drive enclosures with an integrated power supply. I took one apart and there is a board approx. 1.5inches x 5inches long. The power board plugs into the SCSI HD/CD Rom and provides 12v and 5v.

Is it possible to use this as a power supply for a multi-pedal box?

I can take pictures if needed, I just thought I would ask here first.

Thanks!

O

bancika

The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

O

bancika

petemoore

Is it possible to use this as a power supply for a multi-pedal box?
  Well,., I read they can be noisy, as in not regulated or partially regulated..something to the effect of less than smooth DC  power.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

aron

12V can be regulated down to 9V with a voltage regulator.

Should work!

O

If I regulate it, can I still have 12v & 9v? I want to run some pedals at 12v.

aron

bancika

but unregulated 12V. Don't worry about that too much. Put largish electrolyte (1000uF) so it smooths out the ripple if there's any and that should kill the noise (most of it)

O

I don't have it in front of me, but I remember a huge electro sitting already on the board. I'll take some pics tonight and see if I can trace it.

Mark Hammer

Computer power supplies are virtually always switching supplies.  Some folks have noted that, once in a while, some digital pedals don't play nice with some switching supplies.  Alternatively, ONE pedal with play nice but two won't.  My guess is that if you take the 12v output and regulate it down to 9v, that secondary regulation should enable all pedals to play nicely with each other.

This is a use for power supplies I have pondered at great length, since lord knows I have enough of those little blighters sitting in the garage...and the basement...and the workshop. :icon_rolleyes:

O

Mark, the pedal I'm building will house 6 DIY pedals. Do you still think it would cause some sort of problem?

Mark Hammer

Not off hand.

The key thing to be aware of is the possibility of heterodyning of anything clocked.

O

Hmm... looks like I'll just have to plug it in and hope for the best. I'm only adding a comp, booster, od, dist, cabinet emu, and an eq, so I don't think they would "act up"