Tips For A Novice (I Am Building the CB1)

Started by Ethan10991, August 23, 2007, 06:44:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ethan10991

So I am attempting to build my first pedal in a few days. It is the CB1 (Clean Boost 1) Complete Kit from GuitarGadgets.com. Anyone have any advice to someone who is attempting this project? My major concerns are if I have the right supplies and soldering. Any words of wisdom for a beginner like myself would be much appreciated. Thanks.

GibsonGM

Happy 1st build, Ethan :o)

-Digital multi meter with continuity tester, 1 fresh 9v battery!
- solid core hookup wire
-some stranded wire for pots, battery leads, etc.
-solder, about .050 diameter (60/40 rosin core is good)....tip cleaning sponge
-wire cutters, strippers
-small pliers
-lots of jumpers made w/alligator clips on each end of a wire, about 6-8" long

Take it 1 step at a time, get a part in and solder it, trim the leads unless the directions say otherwise. Make sure the parts that need to are pointed in the right directions (transistors, electrolytic capacitors and the like)!    Do the 'active' parts last (transistors and opamps).  You can put in a socket for the opamp/transistor first if you like - the parts themselves can be damaged by too much heat.   Leading to, don't overheat the parts!  Soldering should only take 1-2 seconds when done correctly - maybe practice on scrap piece of circuit board, or some old wires.   Double check your work as you go, makes debugging later easier.

Clean the iron tip frequently on a damp (not soaked) sponge. 
Don't breathe the fumes, check out the FAQ on assembly tips for more info!
Make a chart of resistor color codes and keep it nearby!

Have a lot of fun, don't rush it, and put it down if you get too frustrated, lol.
Good luck!

~Mike
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...