Split a signal between clean and boosted for a HR-2 reference

Started by DiamondDog, August 26, 2007, 09:58:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DiamondDog

Hi, Y'all! Straight into it. As an electronics guy, I'm a good guitar teacher. I'm also one of those pains that knows what he wants, and has no idea how to do it or cares if it's even possible- but I'm trying to learn at least a little bit!

Scenario-

I have a Boss HR-2 in my pedal chain. The HR-2 has two inputs- the signal as it has been processed to that point, and in addition the option of a clean reference signal to make its choice of harmonies easier*. "detector in" on the picture. The HR-2 feeds a Boss DC-3 (the pink Digital Dimension) into two channels with a delay and amp on each, so if the HR-2 is not happy, the sound is 100% certified total crap, many times over and in 3-D.

My first pedal is normally the AMZ Mosfet booster, although a SparkleBoost may be taking over... Let's just call the first pedal "Booster".

Idea-

From what I can imagine, the ideal place to pick up the clean signal is before the first effects circuit touches said signal. Therefore, I would like to run the reference signal from the booster, maybe picking up a signal from after entry into the box, but before hitting the circuit. This would mean 3 x 1/4 in sockets- one in, one boosted output, one raw output for the reference signal.

Questions-

What is the best way of doing this without eroding the main sound? Playing on the breadboard, my initial thought of putting an extra socket in between the input and the circuit board like some sort of y-splitter. However this showed that this extra socket was acting like a second input (according to the blurt test). Not what I was after at all, but understandable now I think of it.

What can be put between input and this extra socket to make it an out-only socket?

Should this extra socket be switched so I don't have an open circuit if it's not plugged in (from what I understand, possible hum source like an unplugged lead)?

Thanks for any input/ideas/etc. All ideas welcome.

DD

* meaning it gets a say, straight F#, rather than going through a sound that's been overdriven, distorted, wahed, octaved, phasered and whatever to try and locate a tone it can latch on to. With the addition of a Liquid Drive, Supreaux, Red Llama, Rangemaster and a few others since I got here, the chances of it being pushed have gotten... Higher...  ;D
It's your sound. Take no prisoners. Follow no brands. Do it your way.

"Protect your ears more cautiously than your penis."
    - Steve Vai, "The 30 Hour Workout"

DiamondDog

DiamondDog

Sorry, I mean tot say "oops..."

I think I'll investigate this, from the House Of Orman.

http://www.muzique.com/lab/splitter.htm

petemoore

Not sure exactly what the question is but see if the answer sounds like something that'd fit.
  Check out the AmZ Mosfet boost, the schematic more towards the bottom shows a buffer output which can be tapped from the source, helping prevent signal loading to what sounds like feeds an Envelope detector, 1/1 unity gain, but lower impedance which 'might be nice.
  You can still use and bypass the Boost. I would guess with some adjustment the source output could be made to satisfy the Boss's control inputs needs [might need attenuating, could possibly benefit from some frequency shaping?], if I'm tracking what you want to do with this setup.

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

DiamondDog

Thanks, Pete. The solution was a Jack Orman circuit.

Let me put the question another way, for prosterity.

The HR 2 needs a copy of the original signal to do its processing. The HR 2 is several pedals down the chain. How can I add an extra output to the first pedal in the chain to provide this unaffected signal? My efforts to date have ended up with dual inputs, rather than dual outputs.

The answer was Jack Orman's splitter from his Lab Notebook page. I put in the enclosure with the booster. It takes the signal from the input jack and divides it into two identical signals. The first channel is sent to the booster. The second signal is sent to a second (new) output jack. This connects up via patch cable to the detector jack of the HR 2.

The buffer ended up as a piece of perf 5 x 18. I stuck it to the side of the enclosure, and it is all tested and happy.

Thank you Jack!