Problem with AION FX Theseus build

Started by Booger, September 24, 2023, 09:28:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Booger

Brand new here.

I've built an AION Azimuth pedal that worked firt time....so this isn't my first build.

Just finished building a Theseus today.  LEDs light up, signal passes through with no problem.  But once I click in either channel, the sound goes away.  Dead silient.  The is essentially two of the same pedal side by side with the same circuitry.  I can understand making a mistake and one side not working, but having both sides dead makes me thing something else it going on.

I checked all of my solder joints as I went along and followed the instructions to a tee. 

Any ideas about what's going on?

Thanks

PRR

Quote from: Booger on September 24, 2023, 09:28:32 PMBrand new here.

Welcome.

It is helpful to say some about the project. A picture. A link to docs. Some of the sharpest members get their kicks by studying solder joints.
https://aionfx.com/app/files/docs/theseus_kit_documentation.pdf
or?
https://aionfx.com/app/files/docs/theseus_documentation.pdf

Yes, two of the same plus switching. I am thinking a signal tracer. At least: plug OUTput to a good-gain amp and touch stuff around the switch. Perhaps it will buzz. Look at the switch plan to see what that means.

Is it DEAD dead? Or a little hiss? What controls change the hiss?
  • SUPPORTER

Booger

Quote from: PRR on September 24, 2023, 10:06:30 PMIs it DEAD dead? Or a little hiss? What controls change the hiss?

No hiss that I can hear at all and I turned the volume knob up all the way.  Amp and guitar are at my normal gig volumes - so it's got plenty to work with.  Sounds normal with neither side engaged.

ElectricDruid

Welcome Booger.

We definitely need some photos of the wiring then!! With luck, your PCBs are ok and it's just the offboard wiring that's preventing anything from happening. While "no sound at all" is *possible* from the PCB, typically if there's something wrong on the board, you get some sound or other, even if it's just a bit of hiss or hum, like Paul said.
Most likely cause of "no sound at all" from the board would be "no power to the board", so check that you've got 9V where you expect it on the PCBs too, like across pins 4 and 8 on each of those op-amp ICs.

Pictures please, showing all the wiring to the switches and jacks.

Thanks!

PS: @Aion, the BOM in the docs describes the JRC4580D as "Operational amplifier, single, DIP8", which isn't true. It's a dual, as shown in the schematic.

Booger

Oh my gosh......I just looked at the pictures I took yesterday to upload them here.....

They always say to wait until the end to put in the chips.....well, I'm still waiting.   Didn't install them.  So, I'll go do that and come back to explain what a dumbass I'm am. 

antonis

:icon_smile:  :icon_smile:  :icon_smile:

I think the vast majority of us have been there... :icon_wink:
(it's the second in "supidity" row, right after IN-OUT plugs mixed..)
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Booger

So first - I created a problem
Then - I fixed the problem
Went from Goat to Hero.

Thinking I could be a politician.....

Mea Culpa to all who wasted their time reading this thread.   

The pedal is working just like it should.  But, its making me wonder....did I leave out the chip in my playing??

duck_arse

Quote from: Booger on September 25, 2023, 10:33:13 AMOh my gosh......I just looked at the pictures I took yesterday to upload them here.....

They always say to wait until the end to put in the chips.....well, I'm still waiting.  Didn't install them.  So, I'll go do that and come back to explain what a dumbass I'm am. 

also welcome, but now we want to see those MT socket pics as well. y'no, so's we know what to look for in future.
don't make me draw another line.

Booger

Well, I tried to post a pic, but can't find out how to do that.  I don't have a link to it and I can't seem to figure out how to copy it into the reply box.  And I don't see an attachment icon.

PRR

Quote from: Booger on September 25, 2023, 11:56:21 AMtried to post a pic, but can't find out how

Yes. We used to have an OK way but it got lost/broken in a recent update. This thread re-re-re-re-iterates why we need a real EZ image tool again. Aron is working on it.
  • SUPPORTER