Fuzz/ Distortion Design...

Started by msurdin, August 27, 2007, 08:12:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

msurdin

Hey

I am trying to build a distortion that around 1- 5 is more of a vintage MXR Distortion + with the gain mostly up..
But after that it become really fuzzy. I'm talking like a warm germanium based fuzz. Think of the lead of David Gilmour at Live 8. http://youtube.com/watch?v=Xl6NfQyNLto

I know he uses the Cornish G2. I talked to Pete and he explained the low settings until half way is pretty much the SS2 with the gain mostly up. (In a previous conversation under a different name he stated he based the ss2 off of a 70's mxr distortion+) After 50% it's really fuzzy.. and germanium sounding.

I was told to just combind the distortion + with a fuzz, but I just want to build it as 1 pedal..
I know when I modded my BD2 with a 1n34a germanium it got a nice germanium sounding fuzz. It just was not warm and had volume control issues.

One of the important things about this is the fact that it will work well after pedals. I know alot of fuzz pedals dont sound good with stuff before it, so thats why I was thinking a distortion that can get really fuzzy

Hopefuly someone can get me on track.

Thanks a bunch

Matt

GREEN FUZ

Quote from: msurdin on August 27, 2007, 08:12:26 PM
In a previous conversation under a different name....

???

QuoteI was told to just combind the distortion + with a fuzz,

I`d have thought this was the way to go. With a blend knob you could combine, to different degrees, the qualities of your chosen circuits, distortion+ with fuzz-face for example, to achieve a varied selection of tones. You could still put them in one enclosure. Perhaps someone else can suggest a circuit that will achieve what you`re looking for but why does it have to be just one?

msurdin

Well the reason it has to be 1 total circuit i because I didnt like blending my fuzz and my distortion + together with the blender box i do have. Reason 2 is where i am running it the fuzz sounds horrible due to the effects before it...

brett

Hi
I suggest that you don't get hung up about using a fuzzface.  The RM Axis fuzz is excellent, and isn't affected by preceding pedals and temperature.
Or search for "Hidrosis" and you'll find a quieter version of the rarely discussed, but totally excellent, Maestro MFZ-1.
cheers
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

msurdin

I was just thinking why not breadboard one of theses..
I've read about it on some places....but it was hard to understand.. seemed like some crap site.
Can you reccomend any reading? Is it possible to replace a ic with some diodes btw?

soulsonic

Quote from: msurdin on August 27, 2007, 09:45:14 PM
Is it possible to replace a ic with some diodes btw?

What?
No.
You can replace the function of an IC with a transistor or tube.
BTW, Gilmore's current Cornish board has the all-tube buffers.
Check out my NEW DIY site - http://solgrind.wordpress.com

msurdin

Yea, i was just wondering didnt think so though...

Yea each effect is buffered. I'm just trying to copy that g2...

soulsonic

Without more info, I really can't help any more other than attempt to design something that has a similar sound.
Check out my NEW DIY site - http://solgrind.wordpress.com

msurdin

I know from what I have talked to him and he has told me its low gain is that of a disortion + that is turned up...and then its med to high gain is a really nice fuzz. Its germanium based. But I have heard from other people it has some silicone parts to make it more stable.... but it is a total germanium sound...not at all silicone.
Very amp like and warm. It also has a very good tone control. It goes good with effects before it, and it doesent pickup radio stations.

...and I'm going to buffer it...

I really dont want a clone... just something that can get very close

msurdin

I just played with my Boss BD2 that I did the Montie Alums H20 mod to. I love how the 1n34a germanium added amazing harmonics to my sound(which i want in my build). To get it really fuzzy i have to turn the volume, and gain all the way up. This makes it unbearable to play with.. The tone control is decent.
I think I would want something that can get fuzzier, and be at a good volume. I also want it a bit more warm and amp like.

I hope this describes it better...

I wish I could bread board this and mess with it. But as plain as i can say it I am shit at reading schematics and I dont know the first place to start with breadboarding..

I wish I could just have a buffer-less BD2, that at 1 is a very very mild OD, from 2-5 is a cranked vintage distortion +, and from 6-10 is a germanium fuzz thats warm and full.

slacker

I don't know what the G2 is but it's not based on a distortion +. On his website Mr Cornish says it uses a 4 stage transistor circuit, the distortion + uses an opamp.

brett

Hi
The primary sound of the D+ is "diode to ground" clipping.  It wouldn't really matter much whether the gain is achieved with an op-amp or discrete transistors.

The harmonics achieved by using a Ge diode for clipping are easily achieved in most circuits.  As I said above, asymetric clipping is also a feature of fuzzfaces, especially Ge fuzzfaces.

Have you thought about building a Rat and using the Filter control to shift between hard-edged and soft distortion? A while back I also posted a schematic for a killer fuzzy distortion with a filter control. Search under "forty niner" (later re-named the smooth-o-matic because Mr Hammer already had a circuit called the Forty Niner).
cheers
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

msurdin

Well I was really thinking about something with 3 controls, volume, tone, and gain.
I played my friends Guv'nor.. It seemed the right track i was going in.... but still different.
I liked how It was full and amp like.
I thought maybe this is a good starting place..

Now better harmonics, alot more germanium sounding. And that awesome fuzzy sound.

msurdin

I just thought, the marshall bluesbreaker... could this get me where I want to go? Obviously some changes will need to be made. But it has the 3 controls, its somewhat amp like... making it fuller, warmer and fuzzier is what would need to be done.

I dont know if trying to build a BD2 without the buffer, and making it fuller, amp like, warm, and  change the volume so I dont have to turn that to 10 aswell would be better...

brett

QuoteI just thought, the marshall bluesbreaker.

A BB with 3 x Germanium diodes will be quite warm and fuzzy and rich in even-order harmonics.  Or if you want stronger mids, do the same thing to a tubescreamer.

cheers
Brett Robinson

msurdin

How do you think the sound would compare the the video I have linked at the top...

I was thinking that the BB would need more mids to make it fuller...
Would it sound anything close to a tube screamer when I put those 3 germanium diodes in? Is there anything else I can do to it?