anyone know how to build a Timmy clone?

Started by Idiot, August 30, 2007, 05:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Idiot

I haven't yet heard the timmy, but it always gets rave reviews. a sound clip would be nice.

Dragonfly

Quote from: Idiot on August 30, 2007, 05:47:02 PM
I haven't yet heard the timmy, but it always gets rave reviews. a sound clip would be nice.

Not really what this forum does...but....

You might get a similar type sound by building a OD-250 and modifying to taste.

Another "starting point" type effect would be the ROG Tube Reamer.

newbie builder

Quote from: Dragonfly on August 30, 2007, 06:11:38 PM
Quote from: Idiot on August 30, 2007, 05:47:02 PM

Not really what this forum does...but....

You might get a similar type sound by building a OD-250 and modifying to taste.

Another "starting point" type effect would be the ROG Tube Reamer.

I've got a timmy and I've built a od-250 and I'm not sure thats the right starting point- those are two pedals that sound vastly different to me, even after I modded the od-250 a bit. I didn't add the kind of tonestack that the timmy has to the 250, but their gain structure is just different. I haven't done a ROG tube reamer however, so i don't know how the timmy would compare to that. I can say though that for the price, the timmy and tim are some of the only boutique pedals that are really affordable to everybody. I have a timmy and incoming custom tim, and despite having built 20+ pedals, many of which are in the boost/low/med gain range, the Timmy has stayed on my pedalboard.
//

goosonique

Try tube screamer and mod to kingdom come....
Try the Crank .... if the above doesn't give !!
<((one man with courage makes a majority))>

Dragonfly

Quote from: newbie builder on August 30, 2007, 08:59:34 PM

I've got a timmy and I've built a od-250 and I'm not sure thats the right starting point

start by adjusting the input / output caps and changing the clipping section...change it from the "hard clipped" diodes to ground to a "soft clipped" diodes setup in the feedback loop.... :)  try LED's there...
It will "start" to get the flavor.... then its just tweaks.....

newbie builder

Interesting maybe I'll try that sometime. My guess would be that 1n4148s would be the diode to try though since that is what the Timmy has I do believe.
//

markm

Quote from: goosonique on August 30, 2007, 11:58:24 PM

Don't think the Crank is in the ballpark of the Tim/Timmy.  :icon_confused:

newbie builder

I think a good place to start might be the fat boostered, though i haven't built it yet and compared it to my timmy (though i intend to do so), since it is, after all, designed by the same man.
//

snoof

i've built 2 fat bostered's and neither one distorts.  It rounds off the signal, but won't get to OD territory.  Others seem to be able to coax dist out of it though...

markm

Quote from: snoof on August 31, 2007, 09:23:54 PM
i've built 2 fat bostered's and neither one distorts.  It rounds off the signal, but won't get to OD territory.  Others seem to be able to coax dist out of it though...

This one will distort;

http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/v/MarkMs-Gallery/album15/album76/MosFAT_Bastard_LAYOUT.gif.html

Idiot

I just heard the clip thru the Pinceton.pretty good, but not impressive.I prefer My ROG Grace.It was super easy to build & is touch sensitive to distort.thx for the help guys.

wampcat1

Quote from: markm on August 31, 2007, 06:40:49 PM
Quote from: goosonique on August 30, 2007, 11:58:24 PM

Don't think the Crank is in the ballpark of the Tim/Timmy.  :icon_confused:

Mark M is right... I'm not allowed to post the correct schem, but this will get you in the neighborhood of something very similar:
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb79/Goop_busters/Timbre_reamer.jpg

wampcat1

Also, IIRC, think about sansamp gt-2 with modified eq for the timmy (according to rumor) , whichever you are looking for. :)
bw