Treble Boosters

Started by s.r.v., September 02, 2007, 11:03:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

s.r.v.

While I what for the Tube Cricket Kit to come out on OLC (Thanks Dano!), I would like something to distract me! So, what better than another pedal, right?
While jamming today, I realized an overall lack of treble in my setup (Les Paul->OCD->fender blues deluxe those are just the main parts).
So, now my question. I know I'm not supposed to say "whats the best treble boost", so I will make it specific.

1. Rangemaster - some people say they are best on British voiced amps. How about stuff like fender?
2. Runoffgroove May Queen - just an average treble boost, right?
3. Runoffgroove Tonemender- looks pretty versitale, any experience?
4. Runoffgroove Red Ranger-is that similar to a Rangemaster?

so, now, DIY community, shed some knowledge on the subject please  ;D. from your experience, what is a good treble boost to add onto a Les Paul -> Fender Tube setup. I'm set for bass and mids, but the trebles are just really weak. Thanks!

btw I'm going for a Jimmy Page(ish) sound, and I know he put his wah down for treble boost, so i could also make a wah pedal, but with just a knob to change what i boost. Thanks!

Dragonfly

Dont forget about the ROG Omega...one of the more versatile boosters out there.

s.r.v.

Ok, I have narrowed it down to 3 (i know it didnt take me long)

1. English Channel
2. Mayqueen
3. Rangemaster

I think i will order parts for the mayqueen and Rangemaster, and if it doesnt float my boat ill order the English Channel kit with my Tube Cricket!

sorry for the waste of a thread, who knew all my answers were in the search bar? :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

Barcode80

the may booster has a TON of EXTREME treble boost. very cool, but careful what you wish for in a treble boost :) i have a layout for yun's rocket boost in my gallery, excellent booster, lots of volume with a slight treble boost. nice indeed.

96ecss

Quote from: Dragonfly on September 02, 2007, 11:10:38 PM
Dont forget about the ROG Omega...one of the more versatile boosters out there.

I just did a pcb layout for the Omega today. Node checked but not verified yet. I'll post it tomorrow if I get a chance.

Dave

the recluse

Don't discount the Red Ranger.  I built one on a Tonepad PCB a few months ago and have been very happy with it's versatility, as well as very surprised by the amount of power it has.  The three way switch (treble, full, bass) allows for some nice variations and the circuit is very quiet noisewise as well.  These are all pretty tiny circuits, you could probably build two or three of them and mount them all in one enclosure for a number of options.

DiamondDog

Quote from: s.r.v. on September 02, 2007, 11:03:33 PM
1. Rangemaster - some people say

There's your first mistake... Never listen to Some People. Listen to those two flappy things on the side of your head. In the FAQ is a list of sites with sound clips. And if you do listen to some people, make sure that they REALLY know what they're talking about.

Quote from: s.r.v. on September 02, 2007, 11:03:33 PM
they are best on British voiced amps. How about stuff like fender?
2. Runoffgroove May Queen - just an average treble boost, right?
3. Runoffgroove Tonemender- looks pretty versitale, any experience?
4. Runoffgroove Red Ranger-is that similar to a Rangemaster?
btw I'm going for a Jimmy Page(ish) sound, and I know he put his wah down for treble boost, so i could also make a wah pedal, but with just a knob to change what i boost. Thanks!

btw, You might like to reconsider your btw: Which Page sound? Led Zep 1? Then you need a supro... And a tele... (My emphasis)

"(Guitar World, Jan 1991 interview)
"GW: You were using small amps, like Supros. Those aren't very loud.
JP: The first album was done totally with a Supro. It's got a 12-inch speaker. So, with just that, a wah-wah, a boost pedal (a Tonebender by Roger Mayer) and a Telecaster, you've got a great variety of sounds."

That JP is a "Some People" I would listen to.  ;D

1. Rangemaster is good, are several NPN, -gnd variants and derivatives. Go for it... Range Maestro, Cattle Drive. They're not complex builds.
2. May Queen is more a distortion with enhanced treble. Listen to the clips.
3. Tonemender isn't a treble booster- it's a tone stack. As is the Supreaux which is worth a run if you're going in that direction and looking for a Page-sound.
4. Red Ranger is a Dan Armstong pedal with nothing to do with a Rangemaster. See this : ROG/Home-wrecker page on it which also lists some other options.

But they are all good effects. They are all worth considering. But we don't know what you sound like, your ability, your style... And there are others... The Omega is worth a mention.

OK, I've spent years (literally, 25 years) trying every treble booster on the planet. There are some rules:

1. What are you feeding into the treble booster?
2. What is the treble booster feeding?
3. What are you playing?
4. What is the sound around you when you're playing?
5. What part of treble are you trying to boost? Your idea may be totally different to mine.

I keep coming back to the Brian May Treble Booster (BMTB). The muff-type pedal I use (very) sometimes is particularly responsive to it over the others, and I have used it even though from time to time I find something that seems better, because that new pedal throws the total band sound out. And I've found that it works very well with the Tube Sound Overdrive (see MarkM's layouts) for what I do and in my setup.

I do a lot of harmoniser work. My goal is to sweeten my sound, not distort or compensate for something elsewhere... So- why is your setup down on treble? What strings are you using? What is your LP wiring? What are your pickups? Have you tried the 6-6-6 setup on your amp since it's a Fender? What is your tuning?

And after all that, do you know what use all of my experience is to you? Absolutely none. Because you have to find what works for you, not me. Go and build em all. It's half the fun- and come up with your own sound so we know it's you.

DD.
It's your sound. Take no prisoners. Follow no brands. Do it your way.

"Protect your ears more cautiously than your penis."
    - Steve Vai, "The 30 Hour Workout"

s.r.v.

alright thanks DiamondDog I have a lot to consider now! ;D
i've been thinking of just making a list, and building treble boosters till i get one i like. And if theres one i dont, ill give it to a friend for a few bucks. Thanks again guys!

d95err

The May Queen is NOT a treble booster. It is a pedal intended to recreate the whole Brian May sound (i.e. treble booster -> Vox AC30). It's essentially a treble booster followed by an overdrive.

I think people often gets it mixed up with the Brian May Treble Booster, which is similar to what Brian May used to boost his amps.